Re: 2 questions about thieves

August 10, 2017 03:38PM
1) There is no good thief combo to really fight assassins. They're better in every way than a thief. Which is why you can cripple them so they can't fight, for example as a trapper or a poisoner. Absent that, the only thief that has third attack (and thus a chance in a "fair" fight) is a thug, but in a majority of straight-up fights assassins have better maledicts and damage options. If you have better eq or vuln-hitting, then maybe cheap shot can carry the day for you unless he flies. If he does, post backstab you can't really do much to him while he kans/kote/throw/kicks you around with your pathetic attempts to gouge and stuff. Nevermind the upper levels where trance is a factor. Some would say a full binder can kill anyone, in my experience garrotte and key bindings fail too frequently even perfected. (Practicing bindlegs/bindhands is very hard, they hardly improve at all.) But it is certainly possible to kill anyone (not mummy/lich) with a binder, however I think it's more of a theoretical possibility.

2) Knife is one round, gouge two. Knife can be taken by any thief, gouge is limited to thug. Knife can be used to initiate a fight, for gouge you need to be fighting. You can flee/knife very effectively against both mobs and people.
Subject Author Posted

2 questions about thieves

frob August 10, 2017 02:46PM

asker August 19, 2017 03:27PM

I object re: trappers

Kstatida August 20, 2017 10:22PM

I'll toss my two cents here, but I'm by no means a thief expert

TheShamanman August 10, 2017 04:20PM

Mace gets some mileage but my experience is tat no midbie thief is going to stand up against kote or kans.

Rhyaldrin August 10, 2017 06:26PM

Tadam August 10, 2017 03:38PM

Yes, and I'd add a couple more things...

DuneTree August 10, 2017 04:00PM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 92
Record Number of Users: 5 November 04, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 358 August 31, 2022