Thoughts About CF After Some Time Away

October 20, 2018 07:33AM
This is a repost from what I just posted on officials because I know some of you cheaters are banned over there.
Anyway, I wrote this before I saw Murphy's post on the disconnect between staff and players.

I don’t think I’ll play CF again. I’ve got too many other things going on in my life to want to put time into a game that feels more like a second job than a hobby. Anyway, here’s my unsolicited take on what’s wrong with CF from someone whose last serious character HeroIMMed.

As long as there is interest, there can be CF. As long as ten people are willing to play and someone is willing to code, Thera can be a place. I truly believe this.

The problem is the humongous disconnect between players and IMMs.

Players, you need to chill. Your job is to have fun and make the game fun for others. If you can’t do both at the same time, fuck off. “I can only have fun at the expense of others,” is teenage edgelord bullshit that you all should have outgrown by now. I’m not saying do this or don’t do that, but you can full sac every kill and still make the game fun for others. You just choose not to.
You also need to chill on the forums. I never saw all the way behind the scenes, but I promise you that no IMM is going out of their way to fuck you over. I know this because it’s joked about on IMM channels, but honestly no one is emotionally invested enough in this shit to fuck with you to the point that your flurries don’t work very well or whatever.

IMMs, by and large you remind me of the kind of guys who manage loading docks in NYC. Yes, it’s a tremendous amount of power to be able to say who can and cannot load or unload at The Sheraton. Yes, you can fuck people over, waste their time, and go out of your way to annoy them. But why would you do that? It’s just a fucking loading dock. It’s just a fucking text-based adventure game. You guys need to chill. You are big fish in very, very small ponds. Keep that in mind.
Some of you guys seem to actively dislike the players. If you don’t like these people you’re not being compensated to interact with, fuck off. At this point just tolerating each other isn’t enough. We need to like the people we play with. If you guys would make the game more fun for the players they would be happier and complain less and you would resent them less. People want edges and Halloween forms. What’s the problem?
The single best thing you could do for this game is find someone who is motivated and available to code. Amazingly you have someone who is chomping at the bit to do this, but you’ve erected an artificial roadblock to keep him away from the code. This isn’t the biggest wound that CF is currently suffering from, but this is where it’s bleeding from. You know exactly what to do to rescue this game. Do it or accept that it’s going to die.

CF is the best escapism I’ve ever experienced and the most fun I’ve ever had in front of a screen. It’s a real shame that it’s on its deathbed, but anyone with a telnet connection can help save it. You all need to make it more fun for each other. Players, you can do that by not being dicks. IMMs, you can do this by examining what the hell you get out of this, because some of you seem to be more annoyed than anything. CF is simple. If you’re not having fun you’re doing it wrong.
All y’all need to get with the fucking program or this game will be nothing but a memory before too long. It’s frustrating to see how you can save it, but having to wade through post after post of conspiracy theories and well-meaning but ultimately useless input from low level IMMs. Listen to the people and stop locking threads. That’s passive aggressive bullshit. Do better.
If you all do all this you can make CF a place that I certainly would return to.

Macaca, Homard, Jawn Foote, Mauz, Tanzer and many others.
Subject Author Posted

Thoughts About CF After Some Time Away

wrathpuppet October 20, 2018 07:33AM

Lost two vets last week that do everything right per the imm staff...

kadsuane October 22, 2018 03:43AM

My thoughts after some time back...

bored October 20, 2018 11:21AM

+1

patrisaurus October 20, 2018 09:30AM

Or....

The Faithful of Nazmorghul October 21, 2018 10:26AM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 88
Record Number of Users: 5 November 04, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 358 August 31, 2022