Yeah I wouldn't say shamans are easy. It's very gear dependent

January 17, 2019 07:48AM
I've found that a decked paladin (better than divine saves) resists energy drain easily, and basically is only vulnerable to con-targeting spells like plague (if elf rather than dwarf). And if you're decked, two rounds of combat and a strike of faith is much more painful than a shaman can easily afford. Let's say vs unprepped enemy your melee hits are MANGLES and strike hits are DEVAS. 100 hp, 150 hp respectively. Suppose each round of combat averages 1.5 hits on the enemy and strikes average 2 hits: that's 600 hp damage to unprepped. Against a shaman with protection and sanc, it's 225 damage.

The scenario is that you flee, haven, and they open with dispel or energy drain (and you save against drain). If they open with damage, you can strike or templars defense lag them for ~3 rounds of melee on them. It gets better if your mace stuns on third strike and your gear progs for more damage (or belt lag).

Basically your threat level rises disproportionately with gear, theirs only makes more hp for you to chew through, barring exceptional Hell gear or something. A string of unlucky hits and progs on them can kill them if they over-extend (e.g. by trying to dispel-initiate on you when they're at 60% hp), but a strong player won't die to a lone shaman if they're careful.

If you have faith of course you tend to win. But it's not as much of a shaman killer as it looks: divine intervention has two rounds lag, they just flee and re-sanc. Dispel is one round lag for them.

If they're Venom path and you're elf it gets nasty, I wouldn't take that fight lightly. But dispel on its own isn't all that scary to a geared paladin.
Subject Author Posted

Paladin spoon please?

Josh January 14, 2019 04:17PM

Some basics..

Java January 15, 2019 11:33AM

More paladin advice

starbright January 17, 2019 05:26AM

I've barely played Avengers..

Java January 17, 2019 07:09AM

The maledicts are still not generally that useful, and Avengers are a bit weak

starbright January 17, 2019 07:58AM

Passive lagging prog would be pretty insane with strikeoffaith

mcbeth January 17, 2019 08:27AM

Defiance lagging seems to have been nerfed, but defiance + lash belt was a moneymaker a few years back. (n/t)

Shams January 17, 2019 08:30AM

What are you basing the lag nerf comment on? n/t

jalim January 17, 2019 11:31AM

Maybe the fact a bunch of similar items have been stealth nerfed.

Sam January 17, 2019 03:27PM

Yeah I wouldn't say shamans are easy. It's very gear dependent

starbright January 17, 2019 07:48AM

Nice, thanks, this makes me want to try an avenger (n/t)

mcbeth January 17, 2019 06:30AM

Why do you say druids don't parry maces well? They have the skill, so seems there'd be other weapon types that fare better e.g. flail. (n/t)

Calion January 17, 2019 05:42AM

My mistake, meant swords (n/t)

starbright January 17, 2019 06:13AM

Re: Some basics..

Josh January 15, 2019 01:18PM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 118
Record Number of Users: 5 November 04, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 358 August 31, 2022