My rundown of the sub-class...

December 31, 2007 07:39AM
The Prophet
Are there many skills worth going past cheapshot? I can see going through parting block to help seal the kill... but other than 3rd attack and earclap, what's the plusses?

You're a warrior-style thief in the shadows is the plus. You've got low hp, but stealth to make up for it. All the skills are orientated toward taking advantage of opponents as and when you can - which won't make you a hardcore pker, but it will make you everyones 'bad day'.

The Prophet
I can't see a thug-style thief, caring much about 'payment of the coward' - they'd rather just kill the guy.

The whole point is that this fires when they try to escape. It's actually very handy for grabbing their potions when they try to flee+quaff. Or extra weapons if they're trying to flee and change tactics.

The Prophet
Sucker hit, I'm sure is cool, and is an attack they can use often... but wouldn't they be trip/cheapshotting FTW?

It's an extra, unblockable hit. As a thief trying to take advantage of those final moments of someones life, it's invaluable to have something like jab for those with heavy defenses. If you really think all you'll be doing is tripping - go ahead and try tripping the entire playerbase :P

The Prophet
Gut Shot is nice since you can BS, then follow with Gut for possible bleeding. Useful, I'm sure.

Combine with a poison dagger for -10 str and good damage over time. I used it as an opening alternative to backstab more often, but it's alright mid-combat if you think you can last.

The Prophet
Death Strike/Strike on the abandoned are pretty limited in it's uses - unless you're planning on taking down groups with a thug...

Yeah, pretty much. Not sure why they went in, I saw Death strike fire twice in Ritur's entire life. And he was a bad-ass pker. Strike on the abandoned isn't bad, but it's pretty 'meh'. When you hit a weak groupmate, and the situation is 'just right' you get a single free attack on the friends warrior buddy. It is pretty much useless, but necessary to climb the skill ladder...

The Prophet
Separate is good for pulling guys out of battle, but then it nullifies Death Strike/Strike on the abandoned

Separate is an awesome skill. Experiment, see if the grappling bonus fits your style or not. The success rate on the actual seperation is very high, even at low skill percentages but the grappling is iffy.

The Prophet
Grapple sounds alright - but how well can a thief dodge/parry barehand to make it useful enough?

Grappling is awesome. I just made sure I wasn't tanking most of the time. Just think of it as your steal skill, modded for weapons people are holding :)

The Prophet
Ear clap seems good for fighting magi - but good headgear will pretty much nullify this.

Earclap was very hard to hit in general, and short lasting. But situationally awesome when combined with parting block and cheap shot tripping. You are far more likely to land it on someone sleeping, so consider it as an opener on mages you've just jacked and stole potions from :)

Overall, be prepared to do a LOT of running. You are not a front-fighter, you're a backstabber. But when that opportunity comes pounce on it like the dastardly bastard your character is. Cheap shot alone will score you many a kill, but with an entire set of thug skills you'll find people very frightened of being caught with their pants down. Ritur caused more than a few headaches and was feared for that, but on the whole if someone actually challenged him he found a way to back-out. His general pk strength was below that of everyone around him, but he had such a huge advantage in finding/abusing already disadvantaged people that it didn't matter. Try hit-and-run tactics or general harassment, but never be tempted to play it warrior style. You'll be sorely disappointed. Just be patient and ready to shine when you find them trouserless.

Yhorian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2007 07:39AM by yhorian.
Subject Author Posted

Thug thief skills...

TheProphet December 31, 2007 07:08AM

I like them.

Scrimbul December 31, 2007 08:46AM

Based on my hero thug

daurwyn(VIP) December 31, 2007 07:55AM

My rundown of the sub-class...

Yhorian(VIP) December 31, 2007 07:39AM

Thanks for the feedback you three... but another question if you will...

TheProphet December 31, 2007 08:57AM

Look up Ritur's PBF. He gained extra thief points, went all the way in Thug and a bit in another. nt

Yhorian(VIP) January 01, 2008 03:42AM

I personally have not rolled enough thieves to experiment with true hybrids.

Scrimbul December 31, 2007 10:17AM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 75
Record Number of Users: 5 November 04, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 358 August 31, 2022