Depends on what I'm doing

December 10, 2007 07:25PM
Kubuntu for a nice easy setup. It's my 'workstation' OS. In case you didn't know... Kubuntu is just Ubuntu but with the KDE desktop instead of the Gnome desktop. I prefer the KDE toolset for general desktop crap.

Redhat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) for running a server (a real one) because it's nice and stable and has Redhat support. For home stuff I just use Kubuntu or CENTOS (free RHEL but not supported by Redhat)

Gentoo because it's EXTREMELY customizable. I almost NEVER use this distro though because it's a lot of work. I've toyed around with it though to make a firewall out of an old PC.

Damn Small Linux (DSL) and/or Feather Linux because they'll fit on a 512MB thumb drive and they're amazingly powerful for their size (nice GUI desktop and everything). I use this on the road, or to repair my other boxes (just boot to the thumb drive, mount my hard drive and edit away). Similary, Knoppix (and lots of distros based of knoppix) will boot off a CD. This is incredibly useful to test a box to see if it's 'linux compatible' before reformatting the drive. There's nothing like formatting your windows away just to find out your video or sound card is unsupported by linux.

Edubuntu I've just discovered recently. It's a fork of Ubuntu with a ton of children's educational games. I recently installed in on an old hoopty machine and my nieces absolutely love it.

One that I don't personally use but sometimes recommend to others is freespire. A distro called Linspire which usually costs $40 is also available for free (hence, freespire). Anyways, it comes with things like mp3 codecs already installed which makes life a lot easier for newbies and/or for people who aren't interested in dealing with getting mp3, windows media, etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2007 07:26PM by Rade.
Subject Author Posted

Favorite Linux?

ekirhal December 10, 2007 05:18PM

Re: Favorite Linux?

Isildur(VIP) December 11, 2007 12:26PM

You would probably like Kubuntu better

Rade December 13, 2007 09:37AM

Sidenote to what I wrote above: txt

Isildur(VIP) December 13, 2007 04:36PM

Re: Sidenote to what I wrote above: txt

romanul December 14, 2007 02:37AM

Re: Sidenote to what I wrote above: txt

Isildur(VIP) December 14, 2007 05:54AM

one problem solved. txt

Isildur(VIP) December 14, 2007 07:36AM

Re: Favorite Linux?

romanul December 10, 2007 10:05PM

Linux is all free - Ubuntu's riding a huge wave of popularity, so it's easy to google for solutions. ~

Japherwocky December 10, 2007 09:13PM

Ubuntu's pretty good.

Jib December 10, 2007 08:16PM

Depends on what I'm doing

Rade December 10, 2007 07:25PM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 46
Record Number of Users: 5 November 04, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 358 August 31, 2022