I agree with you.

December 15, 2007 01:33PM
"Sadly, mainstream public opinion in this country is given shape by tabloid newspapers and their flavour of the month. A lot of this stuff is hyped up to sell papers. "

I agree

"What we do have in the UK is a lack of a clear self image which opens up people to worrying that they are losing it with immigrants when they were never quite sure about what it was in the first place. "

I agree here. This is also true - but not relevant to my original post. I'm firstly not saying anyone is losing it with immigrants. I'm stating that there is an intrinsic divide between immigrants and the generic British citizen. Partly due to circumstance, partly due to Government regulation.

"Firstly, with regards integration. If you're worried about the "muslims" not integrating, what are your neighbours
names and how often do you speak to them? What local activities do you take part in? The UK is drifting away from close knit communities and it's -nothing- to do with immigrants."

I agree mostly. Britain is drifting apart. As for neighbours, I could string off a few names, but would you believe that to be the truth? It's an inet forum. If you want some surnames, fair enough, as for activities, I'll admit to not doing much locally.

"Dole claimants, there's a million more scumbag uk born and bred claiming various benefits illegally (and think they have a RIGHT to do this) than there are immigrants. Yes there are a number of bad apples that have emigrated here but there's many more already here."

Completely agree about the claimants. It doesn't change the fact that some people don't resent Muslim immigrants for various reasons, not least the non-integration and benefit claims. Really, i've seen all extremes. Yhorian stating 'People aren't racist toward Muslims at all' is just wrong. At least a few people in my extended family are racist towards them. Even if these people are the exception rather than the rule it's an incorrect statement. A common tactic for spreading influence amongst the right-wing people is to start an argument with someone about taxes, money going to immigrants. Follow it up with a conversation about how much less Muslims immigrate than Indians or Afro-Carribeans - 'They don't work and respect our society', then leave your average person to entwine the two concepts in their own mind. The result is you end up with people disliking Muslims. They will draw a distinction between Indian/Afro Carribean and Muslim minorities and conclude that Muslims (Pakistani, Arab etc) minorities will claim benefits and not even attempt to integrate. It's a typical racist argument - I've heard it a lot before.

I don't believe in making sweeping statements ever - I'm not saying that Britain is a racist nation overall but I do believe there racism in Britain, just as there is in America or any other country. It is not be one sided or exclusive to any race but it does exist, even in the UK.
Subject Author Posted

Since Yhorian loves to talk shit about America, a bit of apropos. UK racism...

Sam December 13, 2007 08:49AM

Re: Since Yhorian loves to talk shit about America, a bit of apropos. UK racism...

morsgotha December 16, 2007 05:17AM

People aren't racist toward Muslims at all.

Yhorian(VIP) December 13, 2007 03:05PM

Addendum.

istirith December 14, 2007 11:56PM

I just don't agree (another long post)

istirith December 14, 2007 11:28PM

Great post. Thanks man, that's the insight I was looking for. NT

Sam December 14, 2007 11:44PM

I however disagree

Graham December 15, 2007 01:39AM

I agree with you.

istirith December 15, 2007 01:33PM

I don't think it's just your problem

Lokain December 15, 2007 02:03AM

If the towel heads would just act like crackers we could all get along, racism solved! nt

Rade December 14, 2007 02:34PM

Way to sum up Pro's feelings about the Mexicans.

Sam December 13, 2007 04:25PM

Yeah, that was more blatantly racist than anything that came up under the Pro racism thread nt

Rade December 14, 2007 02:35PM

Zingalingdingdong! n/t

Lokain December 14, 2007 08:24AM

not a response to AA's post but another question

hopelessdwarf December 13, 2007 09:13AM

Re: not a response to AA's post but another question

Graham December 15, 2007 01:41AM

But that's not how a good company works either

Lokain December 16, 2007 02:12PM

There is a team in Spain that only has players from their region of the country (Basque).

Sam December 13, 2007 04:26PM

Not too sure about that...

tolose December 13, 2007 12:26PM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 102
Record Number of Users: 5 November 04, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 358 August 31, 2022