CF Thought Experiment: Making Magic

August 05, 2016 06:11PM
I was thinking back to things that are different now from when I started playing CF in '96 or whatever. The discussions on the Battlefield about destroying someone's prep bag being the worst thing you can do made me think something has probably gone wrong when you care more about a bag of (probably mostly purchased) preps than about anything else you are carrying. I know it's been true for me. That's pretty messed up. When I started playing CF there was 1 prep, it did 2 hour sanc, and that was it (not really, but that's all I can remember). If you wanted flight, you either picked a race that had flight, or you hoped to god you could find a cleric or transmuter who could cast it on you. Let alone all of the other stuff we list as basic prep 'necessities' these days. So... that rant aside, how would CF be different if:

1) All class spells were no longer available in prep form. Meaning, no flight, no enlarge/reduce, etc. Only preps would be ones that provide things that aren't available to any current classes.
2) Mages could *make* wands/staves/scrolls of their class spells. Scrolls seems the easiest. 10x mana cost + paper + pen = scroll of whatever. Staves and wands would be more difficult... I don't have a plan there. Potions could require an apothecary (like a forge) and some amount of gold for ingredients.
Subject Author Posted

CF Thought Experiment: Making Magic

laearrist August 05, 2016 06:11PM

I wonder if they'll ever get that enchantment class balanced enough to test out. (n/t)

Frosty August 05, 2016 06:14PM

Just be enchanting. No balancing required. (n/t)

Doof August 06, 2016 01:48PM

The boys over in R & D & D said it failed every test but one.

Demtok August 05, 2016 08:41PM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 84
Record Number of Users: 2 April 29, 2024
Record Number of Guests: 258 May 03, 2024