Re: You believe that I believe it is true because i want to believe it is true because you want to believe that is true.

January 26, 2013 03:28AM
First when you make a claim like that and state that you're 90% sure, and then continue claiming that you have evidence, you need to understand that you're pushing yourself from a random claim of informal surety and moving into something more based in math – especially if you’re claiming that your confidence itself is additional proof.

Here’s some links to help you understand confidence intervals:
[www.stat.yale.edu]
[www.stats.gla.ac.uk]
[www.itl.nist.gov]

etc.

You’ll notice a certain trend in terms of a p-value that is “appropriate”: 0.05

So if you actually wanted to argue from the point that the confidence or consistency in the data itself proved your point, you’d need to be kind enough to hit 95% instead of 90%.

But let’s ignore that and consider what you otherwise presented as your argument for why you are right. First, though, we need to know exactly how this argument has occurred and who needs to do what.
1) Bendak made a claim: Imms can control teleports
2) Bendak presents: “Because I teleported into Hillcrest while in Hillcrest during a fight”
3) People disagree with Bendak asking for evidence.

You’ll notice a problem. People want a step 2 that involves evidence. You didn’t offer any. You offered a singular experience of yours which could easily fall in the realm of the standard distribution since this happens to everyone at random times (but we don’t need other people to even have that experience to show that your singular one is worthless). That’s one experience of yours, as an example. Let’s even said you have 5 such experiences. Does that warrant the conclusion YOU are making from the data?

Stevers told you he lolled and disagreed with you since what you did wasn’t logical (and it’s true, if you’ve presented what you consider to be conclusive, and what you posted is that, then it absolutely isn’t logical).

You responded with

“How logical are you really, if you come to a conclusion that something is false without even glancing at the evidence presented that may indicate otherwise?”

To that, Stevers responded appropriately asking for the evidence. The evidence that, in the above example, should have been step 2 – remember? The step where you didn’t provide evidence. Yeah, that one. So assume you present the same data to two different people for the time being.
We’ll say Bob and John. The data you are presenting to them is “God can control toast because once when I dropped my toast it fell yummy side up”. Ignoring questions of omnipotence or theistic determinism, let’s consider the possible answers from them.
Bob says “That proves it! God can control toast!”
John says “That’s not evidence for God controlling toast”

Which of these is logical?
Obviously John, Bob is being retarded. Stevers is John in this example and then you are asking afterwards “WHY WON’T YOU LOOK AT THE EVIDENCE!” – the problem is that it’s hard to look at something that isn’t there.

In response to Artificial you said “I do have strong evidence of this”
Again, all people want is that evidence. When you refuse to provide it, but keep saying your claim, you sound like someone who says “I HAVE SUPERPOWERS, I CAN PROVE IT, BUT I WON’T PROVE IT TO YOU!” and then expect them to believe you anyway.

Eventually you said

Is it rock solid? No. But I think it presents the very real possibility that they can do this. I don't see any reason why not. Immortals have interfered in gameplay before in minor ways.
Is it rock solid? No. Does it present the very real possibility? No. All possibilities exist, that doesn’t make them likely, reasonable, implied, or proven. When you make a big claim like that, you need to provide big evidence. So to help, I asked on Gameplay so we can figure out if you’re right: [forums.carrionfields.com]

Hopefully that helps somewhat so we can figure out an answer – but regardless of the answer your actual process was entirely empty. The process is important yo’.

Stevers even pointed out that correlation does not equal causation – and then Daurwyn was nice enough to give you a good example of that so you can understand what it means. Correlation is correlation, causation is causation – they are different characteristics/relationships between occurrences, and correlation DOES NOT imply causation in the least, as that requires a different system of proof entirely.
Correlation vs causation:
[www.statisticslectures.com]

[www.grossmont.edu]

“that correlation proves causation, is one of several questionable cause logical fallacies by which two events that occur together are taken to have a cause-and-effect relationship. The fallacy is also known as cum hoc ergo propter hoc (Latin for "with this, therefore because of this") and false cause. A similar fallacy, that an event that follows another was necessarily a consequence of the first event, is sometimes described as post hoc ergo propter hoc (Latin for "after this, therefore because of this").”

You then are nice enough to say:

But I have also evaluated it to be true by my own judgement which does not significantly involve my wanting to believe that to be true indicating that is true. You can't really prove otherwise, and I suppose I can't really prove the aforementioned either.

The problem is that your judgment doesn’t make something true. It doesn’t. That is still you wanting to believe it, since you are believing it DESPITE of you never having proven your claim. Nobody else has to prove otherwise. Nobody has to prove what you said is false.
Why? I mean, Batman, that sounds pretty unfair that they don’t need to prove it false yet can be right, right?
I think Hitchens said it well as: 'That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.’
Or, if you haven’t given your claim the weight required to make it proven, ‘true’, likely, etc. Then nobody is required to prove it false. It’s hard to prove something false when it hasn’t been proven in the first place. Example: “in carrionfields, the bash command also drops your opponent’s moves by .005 if it lands!”. Does anyone need to prove me wrong? No, I am wrong by default, since this is my claim and I haven’t proven it yet. Now let’s say I did a bunch of experiments and had data to show this was true. THEN the burden moves to the person who is now fighting against something well proven. The problem is that you’re still back in that first step, where you make a claim and then don’t seem to understand why everyone isn’t bending to your will (or BENDAKing to your will).

Don't use words too big for your britches. You are getting caught up on semantics of correlation and causation.
No. They’re making accurate observations about your inability to separate the two.

I do consider the correlation of the two things which is their coincidence to be so unlikely and the likelihood that an Immortal has the ability and inclination to make them coincide to be of such a degree that I do believe that causation was present.
What’s almost amusing to me is that this fits your extremely non-mental religious attitude – or rather your dislike towards evidence and the way it works. This isn’t an insult, just an observation since it matches your argumentative style from the other various threads where you make large claims, don’t offer proof, and then appear upset at people who don’t believe you.

And also, mentioning your last line….You weren’t being intellectual. I make no claim to being so, and I’d prefer to have the bragging rights of a Socratic no-knowledge from epistemic lack, but intellectual would have you using your intellect rather than your emotions – and I really don’t see much intellect here. If anything, I feel like you used that word because you wrote a paragraph with more than 2 sentences while using the words “Semantics” and “inclination” (since the other words were already used before), so I’m really not sure exactly what you’re getting at.

If anything, I think you’re mainly just being irrational and rather hostile when presented with reasonable criticisms (you know, reasonable like “You have downs”).

But again, focus in on Daurwyn's last line: It is EASY to make that mistake.
Subject Author Views Posted

Speaking of bad teleports...

LogFiend 633 January 25, 2013 03:11PM

There's a few paladins that like to gather coin there. nt

Rade 188 January 25, 2013 04:11PM

That was supposed to be under Daurwyn's post nt

Rade 186 January 25, 2013 04:12PM

Believe it or not...

Bendak 511 January 25, 2013 03:42PM

I have had some encounters with an invisible pink unicorn that were as valid as your truths of god~ (n/t)

vortexmagus 271 January 26, 2013 01:42PM

I lolled at this post

Stevers 313 January 25, 2013 07:59PM

Says the font of logic himself.

Bendak 293 January 25, 2013 08:05PM

Wait, there was evidence presented? All I see is a story

Stevers 239 January 25, 2013 08:34PM

I think you have downs. (n/t)

Artificial 207 January 25, 2013 03:43PM

Which is why you are an anti-social idiot.

Bendak 274 January 25, 2013 06:30PM

Lets see this "strong" evidence. (n/t)

Artificial 180 January 25, 2013 07:51PM

I consider it strong, you probably won't.

Bendak 338 January 25, 2013 08:12PM

The shit that comes outta your mouth. -nt-

Mek 271 January 26, 2013 10:45AM

Its better than what goes in his mouth. (n/t)

tesline 209 January 26, 2013 04:41PM

You're retarded (n/t)

demos 248 January 26, 2013 07:46AM

If I had a nickle for evey time I teleported near Oshui, I could buy a candy bar, king size. (n/t)

Frosty 199 January 26, 2013 07:37AM

Clearly Oshui got the "Astral Magnet" edge as a RC reward. nt

Isildur(VIP) 227 January 26, 2013 04:43PM

ROFL this is hilarious! I've had tons of teleports like this, 10-15 at least, both in my favour and the oposit.

deriveh 274 January 25, 2013 11:17PM

I'd be surprised

daurwyn(VIP) 318 January 25, 2013 10:24PM

Not that he's never been wrong before but I distinctly remember Nepenthe saying teleport was totally random nt

Rade 177 January 26, 2013 04:46AM

It could be random and still have definable outcomes.

Pro 261 January 26, 2013 01:19PM

Re: It could be random and still have definable outcomes.

Artificial 275 January 26, 2013 04:53PM

Oh adept of the planar rifts, how I love thee. (n/t)

Artificial 191 January 25, 2013 11:59PM

Correlation does not imply causation

Stevers 271 January 25, 2013 08:36PM

But what if...

MiyagiYojimbo 242 January 26, 2013 03:07AM

Decaf.

Bendak 231 January 25, 2013 08:39PM

You consider it because it's what you want to believe, not because it is likely.

Stevers 271 January 25, 2013 08:45PM

Dude, I dunno. Bendak, him's a pretty reasonable guy, and alway uses logical agruments on everything to dead CF's.~

Blackbird 225 January 26, 2013 02:54AM

That's enough evidence to prove to me that he always is reasonable. n/t

Stevers 225 January 26, 2013 07:08PM

You believe that I believe it is true because i want to believe it is true because you want to believe that is true.

Bendak 259 January 25, 2013 09:03PM

And the judgment via imms on Bendak's claim of teleportation control:

Batman 231 January 26, 2013 05:24AM

There does appear to be an inconsistency though

daurwyn(VIP) 265 January 26, 2013 07:42AM

Only Bendak was talking about an imm toggle that makes him teleport near his character's PC enemies. And presumably only near ones who are trying to kill him and are more powerful than him. (n/t)

Jib 197 January 26, 2013 02:35PM

I would guess

demos 271 January 26, 2013 07:53AM

Keep drinking the Kool Aid, Batman. (n/t)

wrathpuppet 231 January 26, 2013 05:44AM

Re: You believe that I believe it is true because i want to believe it is true because you want to believe that is true.

Batman 284 January 26, 2013 03:28AM

actually, he's probably right

daurwyn(VIP) 257 January 25, 2013 10:26PM

delete this

Stevers 203 January 26, 2013 04:15PM

How dare you say you're being intellectual, because you aren't

Stevers 233 January 25, 2013 09:23PM

I want to thank you guys.

wrathpuppet 257 January 26, 2013 04:09AM

>i was making fun of baerinika

Artificial 225 January 25, 2013 08:30PM

Operative word there is FUN. A game is supposed to be fun, and that is what I add to it. (n/t)

Bendak 185 January 25, 2013 08:38PM

F is for friends who do stuff together... (n/t)

Artificial 189 January 26, 2013 12:00AM

U is for you and me! (n/t)

Johneveryman 240 January 26, 2013 12:58AM

N is for Negromancy.~

Blackbird 195 January 26, 2013 02:57AM

Ewww (n/t)

demos 256 January 26, 2013 07:54AM

R is for radio AAAACCCTIIIIVEEE n/t

Stevers 223 January 26, 2013 07:09PM

A is for Allah provides me with evidence n/t

Stevers 207 January 26, 2013 07:09PM

L is for Lance Armstrong is not natty n/t

Stevers 218 January 26, 2013 07:10PM

I can't even imagine how the imm commands would look to control something like this, let alone someone wasting time to code them.

Jib 213 January 25, 2013 08:24PM

We all have ups and downs.

wrathpuppet 254 January 25, 2013 04:04PM

Upsides

Artificial 244 January 25, 2013 04:10PM

Can't remember the last time I saw that mob

daurwyn(VIP) 318 January 25, 2013 03:15PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 97
Record Number of Users: 3 May 21, 2024
Record Number of Guests: 258 May 03, 2024