Serious question for help.

April 14, 2010 11:35PM
I have a buddy I deployed with who's a paraplegic now, got into a car wreck due to blackout from some stuff that happened to him during a deployment and had some clotting issues after while he was recovering. Long story short, his brain was without oxygen for about twelve minutes, and he lost all motor function and brain function. Bout two weeks ago, he started to respond and regain brain function. Doctors are saying its a miracle, etc, but all he can do so far is smile. I live right next to the care facility they're keeping him at, so I can visit him easily, and wanted to help him. First question: Does anyone have any similar experiences, and what did you do?

Second question: Since he can smile, I was thinking of trying to help him write an email/letter to his family or whoever by using a system where I have a page with letters set up like they are on a cell phone, three columns, three rows, and having him smile when I'm on the right row/column, and then point at the letters for that section and have him smile when I'm at the right one. Can anyone think of a more efficient way of doing this? It's gonna take a while, but if anybody can think up a better and more efficient way of doing this, I'd appreciate the help. He can hear and respond, and process information just fine, so that's not an issue, at least as far as we know yet.

I'm going to see if he can hold his smile long enough to do morse code, and then learn it and teach it to him. If he can hold a long and short smile, that's probably going to be the most efficient route of communicating. Anyway, any suggestions, or experience with similar situations would be helpful.

seriously, thanks in advance.
Subject Author Posted

Serious question for help.

Guglielmo April 14, 2010 11:35PM

Not sure of reasonable answer, but you're a spectacular friend..good work man..nt

madglee April 16, 2010 06:16PM

Eye tracking communication systems. link.

Hobotora April 16, 2010 04:57AM

A better example of the software here. link.

Hobotora April 16, 2010 05:01AM

"Doctors are saying its a miracle" - Get new doctors. nt

Batman April 15, 2010 06:30AM

lolled, but I agree n/t

Stevers April 15, 2010 06:49AM

Surprise! -nt-

Mek April 15, 2010 08:21PM

He's probably a doctor in ICP. "Miracles everywhere in this bitch." And if any of you haven't been tortured by this yet:

Batman April 15, 2010 06:51AM

Re: He's probably a doctor in ICP. "Miracles everywhere in this bitch." And if any of you haven't been tortured by this yet:

Stevers April 15, 2010 06:58AM

Re: Serious question for help.

warkwarkwark April 15, 2010 12:25AM

He started smiling four days ago, and now

Guglielmo April 16, 2010 06:08AM

I agree here.

istirith April 15, 2010 12:30AM

Surprise! -nt-

Batman April 16, 2010 01:27AM

Oh wow..

istirith April 14, 2010 11:51PM

Thx

Guglielmo April 15, 2010 10:28AM

Hope he suffer from something that he atleast have a chance of recovering from. nt

Cerunnir(VIP) April 15, 2010 01:46PM

People have a tendency to use the word friend carelessly.

Starscream April 14, 2010 11:57PM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 80
Record Number of Users: 2 April 29, 2024
Record Number of Guests: 172 April 28, 2024