Ripping DVD's for a media server type thingy but need help with concept and ideas

March 29, 2013 07:22AM
So I don't really know shit about this stuff...

I got like 200 DVD's I would like to put on a monster HD and then have it sycn up with my PS3/TV/Network so I can have like an HBOgo type thing for what I own...

I am using DVD Shrink right now and I understand how to get files into format that plays with VLC or WMP and so on (.VOB files right now) They were comming up as 1gb chunks which was defeating the whole point of having one file to watch over multiple platforms but I figured that part out...

Here are some questions I have.

What is the best way to have these things look good on a 60 inch HD display ?
I am using "Do not Compress" because space is not really an issue for me, as opposed to quality.

Is there anyway to like "Upscale" the rip'ed files so they look good ?

The laptop I am using is pretty beefy from work, so I can do each movie full rip single file in under 30 mins I think (that might actually suck) but I think it takes that long becasue I am running with zero compression and all the settings on what I assume would be the equilivant to "Max".

The end goal is to have them all stored somewhere that I can access from anywhere with an internet connection, but the short term goal would be to at least have them on anything in my own network at home...

I do not mind paying for stuff it if will make life way easier and work better and its not crazy expensive... I already have a 2TB drive I wish to put stuff on and a router with a shareport style USB for the drive to connect to.

I cant remember the name of the media server thing I use on my PS3 but it works, its just shitty when it comes to files they are always in some crazy batshit order with no subfolders so its kinda hard to sort through shit... anyway to clean that up would be amazing...

Goal would be like a folder for All movies, then a Folder for like Specific series that I enjoy...
Movies = 300+ movies full length 1 file click and it plays (higher the quality the better)
TV Shows = Subfolders of things like TopGear (with 12 seasons in subfolders again)
Home Media = Home movie stuff that I can throw into subfolders as needed.

If I sort it all out on the HDD like that it still shows up cluster fuck on the PS3 through the media server... Unless I am doing this wrong.

Someone suggested that I go with a NAS instead of the Harddrive + router option because the Hard drive + Router option is not so PS3 Friendly so far... and I would have much more security with a NAS designed for that sort of thing...

Sooo If anyone's got the good please share :)

Thanks in advance!
Subject Author Posted

Ripping DVD's for a media server type thingy but need help with concept and ideas

GreenLantern March 29, 2013 07:22AM

I already do that with my PS3 and sharing on homegroup.

(vಠ_ಠ)> AngryFatKid March 29, 2013 08:02AM

Content wise... Ripping DVD though

GreenLantern March 29, 2013 08:18AM

Nah, it doesn't look bad unless you have real bad quality. Even DVD's look fine. You gotta realize, HDTV doesn't factor in screen size, it factors resolution.

(vಠ_ಠ)> AngryFatKid March 29, 2013 09:31AM

Sorry upscaling can't increase detail

valkenar March 29, 2013 08:26AM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 71
Record Number of Users: 2 April 29, 2024
Record Number of Guests: 258 May 03, 2024