LOOTING!

May 22, 2008 12:31PM
So. Here are my thoughts on the subject, as if anyone cares.

This game has always been, and will always be a loot game. To me, that is one of the biggest attractions it has to offer. If I kill you in WoW, there is no real meaning. If I kill you in carebears mud, there is no real meaning. If I kill you here, it means many things. It means that I have gained the RIGHT to better my gear through my work. It means that *I*, who have played here for over a decade and have never even BEEN to the silent tower, have a chance to wear some of these cool shinies. It means that I may enjoy playing my character more, or be more effective where I wish to be, based on the new armors I've obtained. Can this be done in a manner where it is more fun for people involved? Certainly. Should I feel bad, as a player, for using a mechanic in the game which is one of the few reasons I play this game to begin with? Not at all.

That said, I am curious about what exactly people are looking for when they talk about looting and the like.

A) KNOWING when you play this game that you can be full looted, why are you so upset when it happens? Seems to me like most of you were taught this as little children. Play with the fire and you are probably going to be burned. (I will admit, I have been upset in the past about the same thing, though typically it is not the full loot that gets me, but something else, such as I have killed the person before and returned everything, or my isp dropped or something like that).

B) At what point do you think that looting is excessive? If you have a full ST set, and I am the one who killed you, why on earth am I going to return all that stuff and continue wearing my skull rings and three-bladed daggers?

C) What do you consider to be the difference between lowbie griefing and fair game? If I watch someone totally stacked, who I didn't kill, with a lvl 35 character, should I HONESTLY not even consider looting that humansunder, even if I return EVERYTHING else when I could have taken far more? Is it a certain number of items which are fair game? Is it level related? Where is the line?

D) How is lowbie looting any different from a hero who just got full looted looting a mid ranged decently stacked person who died? Not to mention that the corpseguard isn't even a factor in this scenario.

E) Why should ANYONE have to listen to in or out of game bitching when you take ONE item from a corpse and are told you are going to be 'full saced for it?' If the game isn't enjoyable, why play it?

F) I, and I'd be willing to say that a good amount of the people who have been here more than a few years, can probably remember being constantly killed and full looted as a newbie. While it sucks, it is not a totally bad thing. What better way to learn how to gear? (Other than joining the fort and getting spoon-fed).

Feel free to rant, rave, flame, troll, you name it. I, for one, support looting, particularly when it is done with style. (Do not get me wrong, the one point I do have an issue with is lowbie drop all get all from hero corpses they had nothing to do with making).
Subject Author Posted

LOOTING!

voronil May 22, 2008 12:31PM

Give me a break.

Death_Claw May 23, 2008 06:19AM

But it's in my role :(

Yhorian(VIP) May 23, 2008 07:55AM

8 years ago

random May 22, 2008 10:30PM

lovely story. n/t

Jento May 26, 2008 11:19PM

you put up a lot of straw men. txt

Isildur(VIP) May 22, 2008 03:29PM

If losing doesn't mean anything...

Jasmu May 22, 2008 01:32PM

PENIS!

jmc May 22, 2008 01:41PM

The formatting for the Penis is fucked up. Shit n/t

jmc May 22, 2008 02:03PM

your penis is an aircraft carrier nt

Scrimbul May 22, 2008 02:59PM

That's what she said n/t

jmc May 22, 2008 03:05PM

More chloroform next time. nt

Jasmu May 22, 2008 03:18PM

perhaps he just failed apply chloroform bitch inhaled nt

Scrimbul May 22, 2008 03:27PM

Can't let that happen now can we.

Jasmu May 22, 2008 03:31PM

GLWYN! :D nt

Jasmu May 22, 2008 01:55PM

Two basic rules for your general enjoyment. 1. Always expect to be full looted. 2. Just take what you need from the corpses of your enemies. nt

Drokk May 22, 2008 01:14PM