Random Druid Tips:

October 31, 2009 11:41AM
I don't have any urge to do a FAQ, as druids are a 'feel' class that people should explore for themselves. I am however going to post a few things that'll help along and help guys understand druid edges.

Moon phases - Generally known and easy to figure out, the opposite are offensive-curing and natural-protective. While one is strong, the other is really weak. Druids get great strength in one focus during the right moon but it utterly nerfs another focus.

Moonblessed - Fucking awesome. Moon phases are crucial to your herb power - having protective herbs during a natural moon does jack. With this, the bonus you gain for having the right herb during the right phase is about doubled. This bonus diminishes as the herbs stacking bonus does, but makes having three curative herbs during a curing moon as awesome as having 5 or 6.

Herbal focus - Human only, but got it as a reward. Having six herbs is far more powerful than I think some people might think. Especially when you call the hunt carrying not five, but six offensive herbs. This was handiest with Quird as I think herb searching is wis based, and I'd only find what I wanted (with perfect herbal forage) about 60% of the time. Other druids seemed to have more success.

Herbal regeneration - This is the 'make my druid a sand lizard' edge. It gives you straight regen ability dependant on your curative strength. A single curative herb adds about 7hp a round, and diminishes as you get more. Throw in moonblessed, four curing herbs and a curing moon - I've got logs of regening 30-40hp a round. This edge is useless for fullmoon hunting (when you're lucky to get 1hp a round) but should be VERY high on your list regardless. My favorite time to use it was during a protective moon, with 3 protective herbs and 3 curing you're like a crocodile form. Works in form too, to great effect as your in-form damage reduction doesn't reduce it's effectiveness (while stoneskin, protection, etc. will nerf it)

Medicine man - Makes your herbs cleanse. And you can get 'em while blind. Invaluable.

Skyrender - Condor is quite slow without it, this makes you move really fast. Falcon/eagle will still overtake you though.

Animal benefits - Bearform can now do scent and forest tracking - forest only pounce. Both seem to scale with your herbal power, but are seriously sweet skills. Condor can scout, and flyto anything outdoors. Seriously weak peck (hits/grazes), but alright melee.

Utility herbs - boost your forms, and give you extra mana regen per tick. Combine with something like bioempathy, forestwalker (never bothered getting this edge) and you don't often have to sleep.

Comprehend animals - awesome for ranking with shapeshifters. I did a lot of helping out at hero, and being able to talk to a shapeshifter is awesome. Recommended since it's so damn cheap anyway.

Call of the Wild - Every single animal you can all has some kind of inherent benefit. Some are seriously obscure, others are very obvious. They can range from the vanilla extra defense/offense or inherent haste, to trip/bash or detect-hidden. Never believe an animal is useless just because it isn't firing like a forest witch. I found an ability on 90% of called animals eventually. Fucking wild dog :P

Herbal forage - You get better at finding what you want under the right moon, and as your skill % increases. Having conversed with other druids, I found Quird had an unusually low percentage chance even still - and often had at least 2 utility in his 6 herb arsenal. Might be mental stat based, or just plain bad luck.

Overall, I think the druid class is definetly one of the most powerful in CF. Looking at it objectively it doesn't need nerfing when compared to APs or Necros, but likely does need an exp penalty to stop it simply pwning at low levels. With so many mysteries surrounding their abilities, I'm surprised I fought them so well before I actually played one. I can safely say they do have some GLARING weaknesses that many miss and that's probably why they're still so feared. I highly recommend every tries at least one druid however to get a feel for what it's like to truly be able to do everything - solo pk, explore, utility and great raiding ability.

If anyone has questions, fire away. I'll do my best. Enjoy.

Yhorian
Subject Author Posted

Random Druid Tips:

Yhorian(VIP) October 31, 2009 11:41AM

CoW List

trewyn November 02, 2009 12:04AM

Reading some of these is like... *facepalm* why didn't I realize that?! you helped my druid learn some things IC, thanks for that. (n/t)

randomthinker November 01, 2009 03:09PM

I don't think anyone needs tips on how to *play* druids. They need tips on how to kill them.

Scrimbul October 31, 2009 01:31PM

Kill their parry or shield block and lag.

Balrahd(VIP) October 31, 2009 01:50PM

In some cases, if the druid is heavily stacked out in edge points (a fair assumption since it's an empowerment class) it can be counterproductive. nt

Scrimbul October 31, 2009 07:16PM

If you say so. I've never actually died to a druid, but then I never got to fight Quird (who looks like the baddest druid), either (n/t)

Balrahd(VIP) October 31, 2009 07:51PM

Exploration

Mek October 31, 2009 12:52PM

They explore very well.

Yhorian(VIP) October 31, 2009 01:26PM

Aren't most areas...

Vhoren October 31, 2009 10:23PM

I'll add some druid things to it too

trewyn November 01, 2009 11:25PM

Two hours exploring a civilised area won't impact a 200 hour old druids abilities ;) nt

Yhorian(VIP) November 01, 2009 06:13AM

Re: Random Druid Tips:

Isildur(VIP) October 31, 2009 12:22PM

Re: Random Druid Tips:

Yhorian(VIP) October 31, 2009 01:20PM

Questions

TheBard October 31, 2009 11:52AM

Re: Questions

Yhorian(VIP) October 31, 2009 12:05PM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 122
Record Number of Users: 1 April 26, 2024
Record Number of Guests: 172 April 28, 2024