My Experience after numerous attempts

February 28, 2012 02:00PM
In the first age, pretty much anybody who wanted to be an immortal had a shot, as long as they weren't tagged as cheaters. Most of them washed out around 52-53, but if you put in a lot of hours you got promoted. There wasn't a formal process or any expectations set in stone, but it was generally accepted that you should write an area or make a significant contribution in coding.

I stayed an imm for around 6 years before getting tired and deciding to take a break around 1999, after a few run-ins with Pico and Cador. There were no accusations of cheating or anything, It just became a chore to login after awhile. To keep reading the same descriptions, having the same conversations with empowerees and cabal applicants, catching the same people cheating... it just wasn't fun anymore.

I kept regretting giving up a level 59 char though, and kept thinking I should make a comeback. I tried to re-imm 3 more times between 2003 and 2008. The last time they let me skip the area writing process and just bumped me to 53 because they wanted me back. I still burned out though. I will say the heroimm-promotion process became much more clear and achievable each time, but there is still an enormous amount of time, effort, creativity, and especially commitment needed for long-term and often mundane tasks. There is a *lot* of time you need to spend doing things that simply aren't fun before you are trusted to do your own thing. That is part of the weeding out process, as you need to sacrifice your time to show you won't abuse the power when you get it. And there is a lot of power and trust at stake at the higher levels.

I have written 2 areas that are still in the game, but I also have around 4 unfinished or unpublished areas in various states of unreadiness. Designing and writing the area is easy, it's the hammering out of all the small details and testing it that kill your enthusiasm.

There was a huge difference in my mindset when I was 22 and had nothing but time to sink in, and being 32 and having kids and a full time job and other responsibilities. I wanted the old imm powers and comraderies back, but I didn't have the time or spark needed to make it happen.

I still don't, and don't think I ever will. But I'm glad to see others do, and they keep the game running for the odd times I feel like logging in.
Subject Author Posted

For folks who've been heroimms....

Moligant February 28, 2012 06:03AM

as an aside...

odrirg February 28, 2012 02:42PM

yeah I think ir is silly they never created a tool to facilitate area writing

Quas February 29, 2012 03:30AM

Re: For folks who've been heroimms....

Mek February 28, 2012 10:23AM

Re: For folks who've been heroimms....

dwe February 28, 2012 09:00AM

Area writing is a lot of work.

istirith February 28, 2012 09:07AM

There were times I wanted to police descriptions instead of work on my area... n/t

Jiijjustan February 29, 2012 07:23AM

As Balta..

zandorix February 28, 2012 08:44AM

If you need food, sex, and sleep - you're obviously not fit to be an immortal.

Batman February 28, 2012 08:15AM

That screencap makes me want to kill people

HairyOrangutan February 28, 2012 11:05AM

Re: If you need food, sex, and sleep - you're obviously not fit to be an immortal.

Moligant February 28, 2012 08:53AM

Re: If you need food, sex, and sleep - you're obviously not fit to be an immortal.

Jib February 28, 2012 10:33AM

BUT ASSEMBLY LINES WILL ALIENATE YOU FROM YOUR PRODUCT AND YOUR SPECIES BEING NT

Batman February 28, 2012 09:39AM

Writing an area is like boot camp, if you can't cut it you're not Imm material (n/t)

Thrall February 28, 2012 07:43AM

Fucking rubbish. I had my area written, my items done, mobs done and the resets done. I had some typos and some things people didn't like from walk throughs but it was done. I was shafted by politics and my face not fitting. Valg is a prick, pure and si (n/t)

abernyte February 28, 2012 11:35AM

Yeah, for better or worse, its the weed-out class, so to speak

Treebeard February 28, 2012 09:30AM

This is exactly what happened to me and at about the same age :) (n/t)

Moligant February 28, 2012 11:25AM

This

Mort February 28, 2012 08:08AM

My Experience after numerous attempts

bored February 28, 2012 02:00PM

great post (n/t)

Moligant February 28, 2012 02:43PM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 92
Record Number of Users: 1 April 26, 2024
Record Number of Guests: 133 April 26, 2024