Here's what I would do:

September 25, 2013 07:53PM
1. HR doesn't really read to see what you're good at - that's what the interview is for. HR screens to make sure you're not someone who's unqualified wasting everyones time applying for an executive management position with a degree in artistic interpretation and no relevant job history. That said, there should be a section to explain the situation - so as long as you have good reasons or a "Look, I was a dumb kid", then you're probably fine. A LOT of people have misdemeanors - felonies are a different story. I've had warrants out for my arrest because of unpaid tickets that I just spaced on and never got a reminder about.

2. If something comes up in a background report, after they decide to hire you, you'll get an adverse action type letter if it's a big deal, or if it doesn't matter, they'll just hire you. When I got hired for the stuff I'm doing now, a background check was done on someone named Michael Taylor in Utah. Apparently there's a dude with the same name (Different spelling, mine is micheal) who decided money laundering would be a good career choice and did the dumb thing and got caught. They tried to deny me the position on those grounds, so I fought it and made some calls and got the "investigator" company management on the horn and they fixed that !@#$ quick with profuse apologies, and voila', I was employed.

3. Not disclosing the info would probably come up in the interview, and unless the explanation was good, will probably still come up. They're going to want to know why you broke the law so they can determine if your motives were in the right place, or if you've changed, etc. Just be prepared to explain it. The fact that you've been doing things for the last 17 years, (And I'm making an assumption that you have a decent job history) you'll be proven enough on paper that the misdemeanor won't matter.

Worth browsing quickly:

[www.careerbuilder.com]
Subject Author Posted

First time I have actually had to apply for a job since 2001

ghuljun_thul September 25, 2013 01:54PM

http://www.reentry.net/ny/search/attachment.185116 nt

Flipside Oreo September 26, 2013 03:51AM

Kinda surprised they even asked you about a misdemeanor.

Death_Claw September 25, 2013 10:13PM

No, I would be working with cancer stricken kids.

ghuljun_thul September 26, 2013 01:05PM

Then just answer honestly. Will be fine. n/t

Death_Claw September 26, 2013 02:21PM

It drives me nuts, I suck at interviews and applications and the like.

ghuljun_thul September 26, 2013 03:34PM

LOL!!! That biggest weakness thing is cracking me up.

MiyagiYojimbo September 27, 2013 12:19PM

Biggest weakness answer : I pee on the seat. (n/t)

Doof September 26, 2013 04:10PM

That's pretty hard when you sit down to pee (n/t)

HairyOrangutan September 27, 2013 07:56AM

Here's what I would do:

(vಠ_ಠ)> AngryFatKid September 25, 2013 07:53PM

Remember this guy is a Mormon. He will be hired in whatever profession he wants. (n/t)

Matrik September 25, 2013 08:11PM

Yes. Maybe.

PaulO September 25, 2013 07:30PM

Paul is too honest, don't pay attention to him. The answer is "no." (n/t)

Matrik September 25, 2013 07:34PM

It's been awhile. Aren't you the person who wanted to beat your coworker with a bat for maybe stealing your lunchbox?

Srev September 25, 2013 06:25PM

Have you even lawyered?

Matrik September 25, 2013 06:38PM

No. Have you?

Srev September 25, 2013 06:44PM

That's why you yes. (n/t)

Matrik September 25, 2013 07:20PM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 111
Record Number of Users: 2 April 29, 2024
Record Number of Guests: 258 May 03, 2024