Heh, I was diagnosed with ADD before it was a "thing"

October 17, 2016 04:32AM
I was diagnosed in 5th grade - which was in 1989...damn I'm old. Anyways, they couldn't figure out what was 'wrong' with me. Why I couldn't focus on what THEY wanted me to focus on, often finding my own "thing" to do - pretty much all of the time.

Thankfully, my parents were both teachers and basically refused the idea that I should be put into remedial classes. They cycled me through a bunch of psychiatrists and counselors, which allowed them to demonstrate I had an IQ of 142 and was actually quite bright. Eventually the recommendation was to take me to a neurologist, and a cat scan revealed I have a "more pronounced" film between the two lobes of my brain that likely impedes proper communication between the two. The RX I was on back in 89 was rittalin (whatever the other suggestion was required monthly blood tests, and I've always had a healthy fear of hypodermic needles).

As an adult, the inability to 'focus' on one thing has gone away, and been replaced by "hyperfocus" the problem with hyperfocus is that I have little control over what I direct it at without help.

For years I self medicated with MJ, and it made me feel 'better' but it didn't really fix my issue.

A low dose of Adderall XR (15mg) a day is the ticket for me. So very much so that my wife/colleagues/friends/etc can notice when I "forget my meds in the morning" truly ADD is a "thing" and it sucks if you have it. Mostly it sucks because our laws on controlled substances are so very overbearing that just "dealing" with having an adderall Rx is a supreme chore. Every month I have to go and on the very day I run out, get a physically written Rx (I can't have more than a 30 day supply at a time, and I need to renew on the DAY I run out - I can't fill it the day I have 1 pill left proactively). It is an immense hassle. Also of note, is that with proper medication MJ isn't even a side thought.
Subject Author Posted

A serious piece of commentary, please read

Bryntor October 07, 2016 01:04PM

Opiate overdoses are a serious problem ever since big pharma looted Afghanistan. It seems like everyone knows someone who has died. (n/t)

Rhyaldrin October 07, 2016 08:25PM

Also, I've had 5 friends die from OD's on opiods (mostly H, but I think at least one was fentanol/oxy). NT

Sam October 07, 2016 04:53PM

Re: A serious piece of commentary, please read

demos October 07, 2016 04:40PM

Yet marijuana is still a Schedule I drug. And illegal. Yep. NT

Sam October 07, 2016 02:50PM

I heard just this morning that opiod deaths has surpassed auto accident deaths in this country. That sounds completely nuts. (n/t)

Jib October 07, 2016 01:25PM

Not shocking at all. Opiod's are horribly addictive, withdrawal from such can actually KILL you, and yet they are almost as prevalent as cigarettes. But medical marijuana is the devil. NT

Sam October 07, 2016 04:53PM

Withdrawal from alcohol/benzos are actually far more lethal than heroin WDs

HairyOrangutan October 16, 2016 03:39PM

That being said, I haven't smoked in 3 weeks and my withdrawal was as follows: Lack of sleep for 2 weeks. Lack of appetite for 1. Remind me again why weed is illegal? Heh. NT

Sam October 16, 2016 03:58PM

My weed withdrawal

Quas October 16, 2016 07:41PM

Yeah that's super true. I had an insanely vivid dream a couple days ago, was like I was watching a trippy movie. NT

Sam October 17, 2016 03:25AM

Ritalin, and adderal, are both some of the many forms of the DEVIL. Seriously, I hate that shit.

Frosty October 16, 2016 08:19PM

Heh, I was diagnosed with ADD before it was a "thing"

Nurok October 17, 2016 04:32AM

The funny thing is

Kstatida October 17, 2016 04:49AM

What's funny is that it's arguable that EVERY child has ADHD now. There is so much hyper-sensory outlets. You're expected to multi-task all the time. Etc, etc, etc.

Sam October 17, 2016 03:29AM

While in reality you just were a normal boy in his puberty

Kstatida October 17, 2016 03:45AM

Re: Ritalin, and adderal, are both some of the many forms of the DEVIL. Seriously, I hate that shit.

Kstatida October 17, 2016 12:19AM

Oh no doubt. DT's from booze is probably the worst, to be honest. NT

Sam October 16, 2016 03:57PM

Videogame withdrawal is the worst. (n/t)

Murphy October 16, 2016 04:02PM

Re: Videogame withdrawal is the worst.

Bryntor October 17, 2016 03:05AM

I hate to be an ass, but

Kstatida October 07, 2016 02:05PM

How is this being an ass? Everyone already knows this. NT

Sam October 07, 2016 02:49PM

I mean, these things could be coincidence but...

Sam October 07, 2016 05:10PM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 148
Record Number of Users: 1 April 26, 2024
Record Number of Guests: 172 April 28, 2024