MMORPGs Other than WoW (Mainly F2P)

January 16, 2008 11:36AM
Avoiding the lameness of WoW, I've been shopping around for some interesting RPGs. I tried Rappelz, Cor-something, and a few others that were pretty much all equally lame.

Then I came across Sword of the New World. It came out about 6 months ago and was originally a pay-to-play game, but they decided to make it free instead. It's similar to all the other games in that you go on quests and earn experience by killing things, etc. Here are some of the unique features that I really like:

-Instead of controlling one character at a time, you control a party of three.
-Your party auto-attacks mobs, but you use skill/spell hotkeys manually (and in a way that makes sense)
-The only race is human
-There are five main classes (that you start with) and about 2 dozen or so UPCs (unique playing characters) that you earn through quests
-Every UPC comes as a card that you use to either create the character or sell it off, especially important to know because you can also buy the card on the in-game auctions (effectively giving you, say, a level 60 character at level 1)
-Playing a group of three characters at a time, all of which can be switched out for whatever you have in your quarters makes leveling alts pretty easy, as you could put a level 100 in with a level 1 and go rank them in a high-level area
-Just about every class/character has several stances that change depending on which weapon you wield, giving you a different skill/spell set with each one
-PvP is both interesting and hard
-Being only 6 months old, there's not much crowding. I prefer to play on the UK/DE server, which is almost always "low" in capacity
-One of my favorite things, some of the worst English translations since "All Your Base" for quests, making them highly amusing.

So, as far as free-to-play games go, I really, really like this one. I'm also interested in finding out how Darkfall is once it comes out, but for now, I've pretty much stopped playing CF (due to boredom) and have been exclusively playing this game (because it offers the most variety/complexity).

So, questions, flames, comments? Maybe reviews of any other interesting MMORPGs? If you want to try this one and download the game for free, it's:

[www.swordofthenewworld.com]
Subject Author Posted

MMORPGs Other than WoW (Mainly F2P)

wildgirl January 16, 2008 11:36AM

Warhammer Online, Age of Conan....

torak January 16, 2008 04:20PM

From what I understand EVE has shitty python netcode that makes battles lag and spike.

Scrimbul January 16, 2008 04:45PM

That's old news

torak January 17, 2008 09:41PM

I will have to look into it for real then. nt

Scrimbul January 18, 2008 09:48AM

When is CF going gui...? nt

The Forsaken(VIP) January 16, 2008 11:56AM

Ultima Online was close to cf. nt.

Hobotora January 17, 2008 12:41PM

It is easy

ekvilibr January 17, 2008 11:53AM

It is. It's called Guild Wars.

Pro January 16, 2008 04:34PM

If that were the case you could loot in GW.

Scrimbul January 16, 2008 04:45PM

Pshht..

istirith January 16, 2008 10:50PM

He doesn't. Because he plays WoW. nt

Scrimbul January 17, 2008 07:11AM

Around the same time Windows goes open source. nt

DurNominator(VIP) January 16, 2008 03:40PM

HAH! nt

Yhorian(VIP) January 17, 2008 03:11PM

Teh nerds'll play star trek online when it comes out. All other mmorpgs will bow to its glory. nt

enyuu January 16, 2008 11:49AM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 122
Record Number of Users: 2 April 29, 2024
Record Number of Guests: 258 May 03, 2024