Re: I think that was a foolish thing to do.

April 15, 2009 05:21PM
The backstory is this: video cameras have traditionally been allowed in NH courtrooms, with the obvious exceptions (rape cases, sensitive stuff like that) until this video was made. After that, all video cameras have been banned from Keene courtrooms, and apparently by extension the lobbies. This includes all media. So a local independent videographer who covers news stories and posts them, often live, to YouTube/Qik, Dave Ridley, planned a civil disobedience demonstration at the court arraignment of activist Andrew Carroll, who had possessed (but doesn't even smoke) marijuana. Dave sent multiple letters to the court attempting to convey his entirely civil, and peaceful desire to video the arraignment. He was arrested. That brings us to Monday.

At Dave Ridley's arraignment on Monday, Sam Dodson went in to protest Dave's arrest by also attempting to video record. He was arrested. Rather than resist arrest or comply, he simply went limp and they dragged him into a back room. A little bit later, we heard him crying out in pain, and several people wanted to know what was going on. They told us to leave the lobby. I can honestly say I had no idea it was a "leave or else get arrested" type of order, until Dave (whose arraignment was over) mentioned to me they had likely called in the cops. So I stepped into the stairwell. A few minutes later, cops show up and arrest/issue citations for 6 more people that had remained in the lobby.

Not that it appears to matter, but the NH Constitution says:

Government should be open, accessible, accountable and responsive. To that end, the public’s right of access to governmental proceedings and records shall not be unreasonably restricted.

Free speech and liberty of the press are essential to the security of freedom in a state: They ought, therefore, to be inviolably preserved.
Subject Author Posted

Clerk of the Courts in the NY Times along with some News bias/dramatization of events

Batman April 15, 2009 07:35AM

that's funny. I was thinking "blood from a stone" and then the lady in the article said it. Crazy.~

Blackbird April 15, 2009 08:59AM

So, there's the article.

Batman April 15, 2009 07:38AM

I was almost in the paper.

PaulO April 15, 2009 01:19PM

I think that was a foolish thing to do.

Batman April 15, 2009 03:12PM

Re: I think that was a foolish thing to do.

PaulO April 15, 2009 05:21PM

As far as the demonstration? It worked.

Batman April 16, 2009 01:33AM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 90
Record Number of Users: 3 May 21, 2024
Record Number of Guests: 258 May 03, 2024