This: You can't control others, but you can control how you respond

April 25, 2013 07:22AM
If I tell you that someone died in a car accident you might respond with a simple, "Wow, that's really unfortunate" or some other disassociated response. As soon as I let you know that the person that died in the car accident is someone very close to you it's a different story, completely different emotional triggers go off. Now why is that? The information is essentially the same, you would just choose to react different based on the context of that information.

The same is true with interactions with other people. Someone says or does something that upsets you... why does it upset you? Well, you have chosen to be upset about it for some reason. If you can get down low enough to the point of understanding why you've gotten upset over what someone has done then that's the first steps towards controlling your response.

In your recent case, someone violated your space and made you feel vulnerable in a place you'd formerly felt safe. That can be a jarring experience and it's perfectly normal and healthy to have an emotional reaction to this. Immediately going towards violence is not healthy though, that degree is something you've chosen based on something else going on in your life/past.
Subject Author Posted

I seem to have burnt through the unadulterated rage that consumed me a few days ago.

ghuljun_thul April 24, 2013 07:06AM

If you feel better after just talking about your problems, a therapist is a very viable option.

Stevers April 24, 2013 09:27AM

The problem I have found with therapists.

ghuljun_thul April 24, 2013 10:22AM

control your emotions

Quas April 24, 2013 02:07PM

This: You can't control others, but you can control how you respond

Rade April 25, 2013 07:22AM

Remember, you're the one paying them.

Stevers April 24, 2013 12:35PM

help pls i am postin this frum his phone call 911 pls help (n/t)

Batman April 24, 2013 07:50AM

I'm not worried. You'll think of something.

MiyagiYojimbo April 24, 2013 09:44AM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 119
Record Number of Users: 2 April 29, 2024
Record Number of Guests: 258 May 03, 2024