Re: Some suggestions

May 05, 2020 10:04AM

Python isn't really the best language to use since it is slow enough to introduce measurable latency when you have some
degree of load from actions/highlights/triggers etc.

The only time I've had issues with this in python3+ is when it was poorly designed logic - using newer versions of python (3.x+) haven't really had performance issues for anything network constrained - the only time I've ran into performance problems that were noticeable were IO or memory constrained work like reading and processing large files, etc.

Your msg handler doesn't match prompts. Matching prompts is the fundamental operation that has to
be correct in every MUD client, otherwise you can't do reliable per-line operations (like actions/triggers/highlights etc).
You need to take into account that server output can arrive in batches that are completely arbitrary / not neatly
terminated by a complete prompt or even new line.

I'll have to add a new layer for this - I've been starting to see issues with it occasionally during that interrupt period in between receiving - but I think I should be able to solve this relatively easy with a bit of thought. More context on the prompt thing would be helpful - I haven't ever really gotten into the scripting stuff via zmud and mud (Mostly just color triggers, eat/drink, and some aliases for targeting and shortcuts). Is the prompt recognition just used to segregate the "events" that have happened when you're scripting things out?

This doesn't work because regular expressions can not be used to model state machines, which is really what you need here.

I didn't realize it, but the only reason it's working right now is because it's not often that you hit a color change mid-message (Most of the message colors are already reset by the time you get to another message/line). I'll have to think of a good color state system - that's great input, thanks!

Making something that sort-of-works, some of the time, is easy.

But making something that's robust is all about understanding the problem and its cornercases
Would love more feedback - it's been really fun to learn the ins and outs of writing a MUD client, and I'll likely be poking at this for a few years, since I use it fairly consistently right now to play casual stuff.
Subject Author Posted

I finished the barebones of a MUD client - what features do we wish we had?

(vಠ_ಠ)> AngryFatKid April 26, 2020 09:43AM

https://gitlab.com/bubthegreat/mudpy (n/t)

(vಠ_ಠ)> AngryFatKid April 26, 2020 11:09AM

And immediately moved it to https://gitlab.com/mudpy/mudpy

(vಠ_ಠ)> AngryFatKid May 04, 2020 05:50AM

Some suggestions

zoskia May 04, 2020 09:07PM

Re: Some suggestions

(vಠ_ಠ)> AngryFatKid May 05, 2020 10:04AM

What's wrong with what Rahsael made in Mudlet? Why compete? n/t

jalim May 04, 2020 07:20AM

This is newbie-level code, it's obvious he's doing it for fun and learning

zoskia May 04, 2020 08:53PM

^ This

(vಠ_ಠ)> AngryFatKid May 05, 2020 09:35AM

good for you

The Forsaken(VIP) May 07, 2020 03:01PM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 122
Record Number of Users: 5 November 04, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 358 August 31, 2022