empowerment, encouragement., guidance. txt

November 28, 2009 05:24AM
Empowerment:

Newbies need to feel like they aren't completely powerless. When I first started playing I was total meat. Anybody could kill me and I couldn't figure out how to stop them. I didn't know where gear was. I didn't know where a lot of areas were. I didn't even know what gear existed that I should be coveting, much less where to find it. This resulted in a feeling of powerlessness that, honestly, was pretty discouraging. I can handle being the low guy on the totem pole, as long as I have some vague idea of how one "moves up" on the totem pole. When you don't even understand how to "move up" then your current position of weakness starts to seem permanent.

Dio's item list is an (imperfect) antidote to the gear ignorance, along with the FAQs, world map, the ranking list I cooked up, etc.

Encouragement:

Non-newbie players need to stop being jerks. There's really nothing to be done here except apply social pressure, and that's never going to "reach" some people. But, in general, if you realize someone is a newbie, maybe go a little easy on them. I'm not saying don't kill them, but maybe...don't kill them if you know they've died in the last RL hour. Or maybe don't kill them at all if your role-play permits. Attack and just don't use any lagging moves. Stuff like that. Maybe don't take their gold/potions if and when you do kill them. Maybe throw them a RP "bone" after killing them, just to keep them interested in the game and offset the frustration of having just died.

Guidance:

I feel like newbies need to be guided in the right direction when they start out when it comes to class/race/align/cabal choices. The staff tries to do this when it recommends against empowerment characters, but I'm not sure that's adequate. Honestly, I'd recommend against mages (except possibly shifter or lawful-good conjurer) and would not necessarily steer newbies away from empowerment classes. They have a number of features that are handy for newbies:

1. Built in detect invis and word of recall.
2. Built in damage reduction, i.e. less reliance on preps.
3. Not as gear-dependent in order to be effective (paladins have wrath, healers just heal, etc.)
4. Built in immteraction.

If you're a newbie and pick a sub-optimal race/class combo as your first character then it can lead to a really negative first impression.
Subject Author Posted

Keeping new players

NiceGuy November 27, 2009 01:35PM

empowerment, encouragement., guidance. txt

Isildur(VIP) November 28, 2009 05:24AM

I definitely agree with all of this, and I think there needs to be a greater emphasis on not playing certain classes if you're new. (n/t)

sleepy November 28, 2009 09:52AM

I'd argue that grouping is essential to the newbie experience

daurwyn(VIP) November 28, 2009 12:13AM

Yep, grouping, even with just one other person, is huge. NT

Sam November 30, 2009 04:14PM

for a certain type of player that is probably true.

Flipside Oreo November 29, 2009 07:49PM

Re: I'd argue that grouping is essential to the newbie experience

NiceGuy November 28, 2009 05:24AM

the uglies is that later game, skills are at lower % = much death

Circle November 29, 2009 04:17PM

I've always taken the general view that mages are meat early so they can be demigods later

morocco November 27, 2009 03:16PM

From what I've gleaned from the whole wand thread.

madcap November 27, 2009 04:16PM

and I ask, guilelessly, how many hero mages of late have not had 2 of 3 sleeks? anybody? (n/t)

morocco November 27, 2009 06:08PM

I've played 3 mages past 40. 1 found amber, 1 found sienna, 1 found all 3. then I've played one to 36 who found 2. n7t

deriveh November 29, 2009 12:45PM

With Gimblenig

Darbhi November 28, 2009 11:30PM

Ezranil only had his Sienna.

Cerunnir(VIP) November 28, 2009 10:40PM

My last two mages

_Magus_ November 28, 2009 03:04PM

With Nerys

abernyte November 28, 2009 01:40PM

With Masinger

daurwyn(VIP) November 28, 2009 12:14AM

Come on daurwyn....

torak November 28, 2009 02:20PM

Did about 50-50

daurwyn(VIP) November 29, 2009 08:19AM

No clue, but by reading that thread, it seems more than a few. But what percentage of the entire mage playerbase I couldn't say. (n/t)

madcap November 27, 2009 06:42PM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 40
Record Number of Users: 2 April 29, 2024
Record Number of Guests: 258 May 03, 2024