RP Question for the Vets and a couple Ideas

August 09, 2010 11:03AM
How many examples are there purely via RP (non-ooc) means of one character convincing another character to change their ways/viewpoint/ etc that are well known?

Examples would be a magi convincing a rager to stop being a rager or someone of the light convincing an evil bastid to be goody goody, or vice versa, etc. Basically someone over the course of battling them and then talking or what have you, maybe they just part of the same guild and talk alot, whatever, actually got someone to make significant changes to their original thought out role.

Im just wondering after all the talk about OOC hell-trips and such...how much of the in-game mechanics actually feed into folks desiring to do things ooc. Ive played CF for years...never had an ooc contact within the game, closest thing was a PM here and there from folks who knew me back in my Gapverdi days when I first started playing again.

That said...there are certain things Ive wanted and TRIED to do (Gapverdi Family being the closest ever to successfully doing this completely IC) with organizing things IC...the biggest problem Ive ever faced when doing this is the fact that every character in the game for the most part is 'born' knowing their destiny and seeking it out to the exclusion of everything else.

A rager is 'born' a rager and will die a rager (unless exiled) and so on.

Some people were pointing out the effects of knowing peoples alignment and even that when you think about it limits what you can accomplish purely through RP if you have a specific idea in mind. In other words your RP is highly limited by the mechanical aspects and overall rules if you will that define what you can actually accomplish.

Im not even sure what im trying to say really other than it seems there is so much more one could do even with this small PB if there were more ways IC to organize things (hell-trips, non-cabal groups, etc.) but since there isn't...going OOC or even partially OOC seems a natural result of not having an in-game method that works just as well.

A few ideas to help:

1. Clans.

Let players start their own clans. Maybe allow this to be a reward for really good RP of the founding member.
Clans wouldn't get any special 'cabal' type powers but maybe access to a 'clan-channel' for people in the same clan.
Clans could be formed around a 'guiding principle' such as 'exploration' 'mercenary' 'religion' what have you that binds them together.
Cabal members could be part of a clan as long as the clan limits or guiding principles dont conflict with the cabals stuff.
Give clans a seperate mailbox or something so notes to the clanmembers dont get 'noted' out of existence
Players could be part of multiple clans as long as their intersts dont conflict.
Clan creators could specify how limited access is to their clan based on class, race, ethos, alignment, etc.

Being part of a clan may be a way for characters who may not trust each other but have no reason to PK each other to meet and organize things like hell-trips completely IC. Im thinking here that part of the problem may simply be that there isn't enough opportunity sometimes for disparate people all of whom have different schedules and have never and probably will never meet in game to actually contact each other except via a bard and sending a note to everybody which you just might not want to do.

2. Have punishments enforced by the players?

By this i mean changes to alignment. Why is it if you go from being evil to good, or what have you...you forget how the hell to do certain things you've been doing? I can understand in the case of empowered characters. Obviously an alignment change would cause your diety to pull the plug on you. But for non-empowered characters there should be no punishment for an alignment change except those enforced by the playerbase. If a storm giant warrior becomes evil and joins the empire...give them some sort of fitting title and whip the Fort into a frenzy to kill them obviously, but losing skills and such just discourages thinking out the box role-wise and as mentioned at the beginning of this - escalates the whole 'i was born into this destiny and wont change no matter what' mentality that comes with knowing that if you listen to this other person and change your way of thinking all of a sudden you might forget how to swing your swored or something (im not sure EXACTLY what happens whn you change alignment if anyone cares to enlighten me i just hear its bad and you can lose some skills)

Anywho...sorry...just was thinking and then started rambling...hope someone can make sense of that.
Subject Author Posted

RP Question for the Vets and a couple Ideas

Moligant August 09, 2010 11:03AM

I played an elf invoker who, as a lowbie, got persuaded by a rager to give up magic.

DurNominator(VIP) August 11, 2010 12:06AM

This is a link to some of Harkan's logs.

Ninall August 10, 2010 02:39PM

Hey I'm in that link.

Jib August 10, 2010 07:58PM

It's hillarious. n/t

Death_Claw August 13, 2010 11:48AM

uhhhhhhbeavis (n/t)

sleepy August 11, 2010 11:39AM

Thank you :) (n/t)

Moligant August 10, 2010 03:53PM

Edited

Quixotic August 09, 2010 11:40AM

Look at Harkan

jmc August 09, 2010 11:51AM

Harkan was a failure for him. 50-3, if I remember correctly.

Quixotic August 09, 2010 04:54PM

Nah, Harkan never died once. Well, maybe to a mob, but never to a player. NT

Sam August 09, 2010 08:28PM

I looked it up, and you are right. Zero pk losses.

Quixotic August 10, 2010 04:08AM

No failure at all. Considering that you can add on another 30+ PK's by convincing others to drown.

BattleCharmed August 09, 2010 05:24PM

nt find any logs, so explain the drowning thing plzzzzz

Moligant August 10, 2010 03:52AM

Explanation

Quixotic August 10, 2010 04:42AM

Re: Explanation

Darbhi August 10, 2010 08:49AM

Ah, well, I guess I didn't know about that last 20 hours. Thanks! NT (n/t)

Quixotic August 10, 2010 11:07AM

Re: Cant find any logs, so explain the drowning thing plzzzzz (n/t)

Moligant August 10, 2010 03:52AM

Re: Cant find any logs, so explain the drowning thing plzzzzz

Moligant August 10, 2010 03:53AM

He cut deals with people to give them what they wanted

NeverMindTheWarlocks August 10, 2010 05:13AM

Heralds

Moligant August 09, 2010 11:43AM

Iunna hates evil stuff with a passion. Secretly wants to be a fortie, or whitecloak... (n/t)

Demtok August 09, 2010 04:55PM

Yeah, that's not true. It's always been hard to get an evil in Herald, it doesn't have anything to do with Iunna. nt

Splntrd August 10, 2010 07:29AM

I've had two evil followers under her and I hate empowerment in general. You're misrepresenting her, she's no Rayihn. (n/t)

Scrimbul August 09, 2010 08:55PM

Yet one of her favourite followers was Hunsobo... (n/t)

BattleCharmed August 09, 2010 05:25PM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 145
Record Number of Users: 2 April 29, 2024
Record Number of Guests: 178 May 01, 2024