Well the thing is, when you're talking about making an effective rogue, what you're really talking about is putting a rogue with tons of might and dex in platemail and frontlining with him.

March 30, 2015 12:58AM
You're not going to be doing any classic stabbing, you're going to be shooting an arbalest at someone for sneak attack damage and then running up and popping cripple or hobble or what have you in melee range. But if you do this in light armor you'll get completely shit on in any difficulty above normal, so you're gonna end up doing this in plate mail, which kinda defeats the purpose of rogue since they don't attack nearly as fast enough to take advantage of sneak attack damage anymore. Plus you'll probably be wanting a shield since rogue characters are naturally weaker than fighters or pallies and don't get nearly as many area support skills, either, to keep them alive and in the fight.

Rogue is very well suited for clearing valewood early, including solokilling the bear (honestly, I doubt you're gonna be able to do this unless you turned difficulty to easy) and the three bandits, but you're not even supposed to do those quests at that point. You can come back later with 4-5 people and clear those exact same quests in less than five minutes with zero risk.

The classic project eternity rogue is basically a frontline fighter that does more damage when someone is afflicted by conditions, but without all the stuff that makes frontline fighters super useful (constant endurance recovery, guardian/offensive stances, extra engagement feats for fighting multiple foes, etc). This makes them basically a worse version of the cipher, who does -all- the stuff a rogue can do and casts some really powerful and unique spells besides. To put it this way, rogues fully optimized with sneak attacks do 1.5x weapon damage. Ciphers fully optimized do 1.4x weapon damage PLUS have a huge array of spells to cast, PLUS don't have to afflict their targets first. So even if you're doing powergamey platemail rogue, you're better off with some other class.

The other classic rogue build involves ranged sneak attacks on characters that a wizard has afflicted, but at that point why not just roll a ranger or chanter who will do just as much ranged damage and have more versatility besides?

I have seen a post about a guy who did path of the damned with a rogue in his party of 6 PCs. His rogue had int 3 and resolve 8 and dumped alllllll his stat points in con, dex, and might. Was really funny.

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2015 01:06AM by vortexmagus.
Subject Author Posted

Pillars of Eternity - Don't buy it.

Matrik March 29, 2015 06:23AM

Good voice acting, too, and lots of it. Whoever did Durance, though, oy vey, and that's coming from a non-Jew. (n/t)

madglee March 31, 2015 07:58PM

I've been getting my ass kicked on Hard

madglee March 29, 2015 08:10AM

Okay then.

vortexmagus March 29, 2015 07:03PM

I'll have to disagree. Rogue is the easiest class.

Matrik March 29, 2015 08:57PM

Well the thing is, when you're talking about making an effective rogue, what you're really talking about is putting a rogue with tons of might and dex in platemail and frontlining with him.

vortexmagus March 30, 2015 12:58AM

Platemail is pointless.

Matrik March 30, 2015 05:00AM

I've moved up in the world, slightly. Thanks for the schooling on engagement. (Review inside)

madglee March 31, 2015 07:45PM

Ahaha. Matrik is the hard class then, I guess? (n/t)

Murphy March 29, 2015 09:40PM

You goof. (n/t)

Matrik March 30, 2015 05:15AM

Yeah the Orlan are a poor substitute.

Matrik March 29, 2015 12:16PM

Noticed the writing is almost over the top, but strong nonetheless.

madglee March 29, 2015 04:48PM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 32
Record Number of Users: 2 April 29, 2024
Record Number of Guests: 258 May 03, 2024