I'm not sure if you completely missed my point...

December 09, 2012 09:52PM
Or if you're just kinda dumb.

Yes, boxing does put on some very good fights. At least, it does in the Main Event, with boxers that have already established themselves as the world's best.

But the undercards? The up-and-coming boxers? They are rarely even worth watching. The fighters and promoters pick and choose those early fights to try to manufacture undefeated records to build themselves up.
How many undercard fights would you put in your list of best boxing matches of 2012?
Now answer the same question of MMA fights.

What happens if a boxer loses one of his first three fights? His career is probably over before it started.

In the MMA? That guy turns into Anderson Silva or Chuck Liddell. The difference? In the MMA, the fighter (typically) doesn't choose their own fights. And that means the fights are more competitive, because they're organized by people who's priority is putting on good fights, in order to earn more money for the organization, instead of hyping up an individual (to earn more money for that individual). It's still a system run by greed, but one system is inherently more beneficial to the audience than the other.

Yes, boxers make more money when they hit the big time. But again, that goes to the above. In Boxing, time and effort go into hyping the individual, above the sport as a whole.

I agree that both sports CAN be awesome. But boxing frustrates me so much more, because the fighters and the promoters have final say on which fights they take.

And as far as UFC, Bellator, K-1 etc.. that's besides the point. The point is, each of those organizations puts on the best fights they can, pitting evenly matched fighters together. They aren't (usually) concerned with building up a fighters record by giving him easy fights.
Subject Author Posted

If you ain't watching this Pacquiao Marquez fight, you need to be. WAR! NT

Sam December 08, 2012 07:49PM

I DEMAND to see a fifth fight! NT

Sam December 08, 2012 08:08PM

Get a job, Sam! (n/t)

TaterPig December 10, 2012 04:59AM

:( NT

Sam December 10, 2012 11:46AM

lolled nt

Batman December 10, 2012 06:23AM

I love watching the same fight over and over. When Mayweather grows a sac and fights Pacquiao i'll watch ppv boxing again. (n/t)

kanye December 08, 2012 07:53PM

You missed Pacquaio getting KTFO after knocking down Marquez and busting his nose then. NT

Sam December 08, 2012 08:09PM

It was easily the best out of the series and that's saying a lot.

Rhyaldrin December 09, 2012 01:50PM

Marquez is the guy with the new "strength" coach who has admitted to juicing his atheletes. And it was only Nevada mandatory testing. NT

Sam December 09, 2012 04:01PM

That whole sport is dirty. Which sucks because it's made boxing nearly unwatchable for decades.

Rhyaldrin December 09, 2012 04:35PM

Lol. You mean the same MMA that has suspended several big names over PEDs? The same MMA that keeps true #1 contender fights from happening because of $'s?

Sam December 09, 2012 06:30PM

It's so much harder for a fighter to pick and choose fights in the MMA though.

Java December 09, 2012 08:49PM

Huh? Rios v Alvarado WAS the fight of the year until last night. UFC fighters don't fight Bellator, or Dream, or K-1 dudes, so you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

Sam December 09, 2012 09:23PM

If boxing put on a major event every month do you think they'd still out perform the UFC in terms of buys/ticket sales?

Rhyaldrin December 09, 2012 10:28PM

They put out a major event every week :) Everyone thinks USA-only.

Sam December 09, 2012 10:51PM

Good points.

Rhyaldrin December 09, 2012 11:24PM

I'm not sure if you completely missed my point...

Java December 09, 2012 09:52PM

I've seen tons of good undercard fights

jegec December 10, 2012 01:04AM

Then say "UFC has better fight cards because boxing Undercards suck balls". No one would have a big problem with that statement.

Sam December 09, 2012 10:47PM

Meh. It's far less prominent in MMA. Who wants to see Fitch fight for the title again anyway? (n/t)

Rhyaldrin December 09, 2012 07:01PM

OMGOMGOMGMOOGMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGO MGOMG. NT

Sam December 08, 2012 07:51PM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 145
Record Number of Users: 2 April 29, 2024
Record Number of Guests: 172 April 28, 2024