Zuo Ci!

February 07, 2013 05:28AM
They totally made him weirder than he actually was in the novels/stories, but if you're unfamiliar with why they did that, I'm gunna share because I find it THAT amusing.

I mean in the DW games they turned Zuo Ci into a rather abstract seeming hermit (modeled obviously off of Zhuge Liang) but gave him a sort of overt spiritual or ethereal quality along with evident divine wisdom.

In ROTK the games they made him a weird old dude with a scraggly beard who taught mysticism and was hard to find, listed as a "sage".

In the novels ROTK, he was even cooler:

Okay so storyline wise. Cao Cao leaves his big tough defenders like Zhang Liao and He Fei whilehe pulls back to his capital and acting the badass. He’s chilling in his palace, being all badass and jailing dudes like normal during winter, and some weird dudes come in. One guy “wore a bonnet of white vine-stems and an informal grey Taoist robe” (the translation is okay, but the idea is he’s naturey and really bland looking) and he was “blind in one eye and crippled in one leg”. You can guess who this weird old man is.

So Cao Cao goes to eat some fruit his workers carried in, and as he opens the peel or peels it there is NOTHING inside – which is weird. Zuo Ci comes to court and Cao Cao is all “What the fuck did you do to my fruit! Me hungy hungy for some foods and you ruined it!”.

Zuo Ci peels some fruit, eats it, calls Cao Cao crazy and says he doesn’t know what he’s talking about. Cao Cao then peels some fruit too, but every one he does is empty. Cao Cao makes a claim of evil magics at Zuo Ci.

Cao Cao is obviously interested at this point, so he offers food to Zuo Ci. Zuo Ci starts eating, never seeming to get full, drunk, or anything – and keeps eating, meals and meals later. Cao Cao is confused as hell and asks Zuo Ci how he does these things. Zuo Ci casually describes a brief event when he was a hermit and how he had some divine experience blahblahblah and basically asks if Cao Cao wants to become his Tao student.

Cao Cao basically says he can’t, and Zuo Ci says he should and then threatens Cao Cao which isn’t cool at all, even mentioning a Shu officers that could take Cao Cao’s place. So Cao Cao calls for his guards, wanting to get this weird old retard arrested and they surround him and start wailing on him and hitting him – Zuo Ci yawns and goes to sleep while they’re doing this, seemingly unbothered by the attacks. So they cage him up and position a guard to watch him. The next morning they find the guard in the cage and Zuo Ci sleeping on the ground outside of it. Then they with-hold food from him for a week, and he seems fine, as he’s Zuo Ci.

Cao Cao goes to have a big meal, Zuo Ci magically appears and does some tricks while Cao Cao tries to outwit him. It isn’t going well for Cao Cao obviously, though he is making ridiculous requests from Zuo Ci that he somehow pulls off in amusing manners. We’re talking like classic magic tricks, turning things into birds, making fish appear, etc. He eventually disappears and Cao Cao is all “GET THAT NIGGA!”. Obviously this doesn’t work too well. Xu Chu chases him (you can recognize this as ‘Xu Zhu’ from the vidya games, which is the obese ex-villager who joins Cao Cao and wields that enormous iron-ox-ball on a stick and rolls around) and sees Zuo Ci hide in a herd of sheep. Chu kills all the sheep like an asshole, leaving the owner a very depressed. But a sheep head somehow speaks to him and says “Stick the bodyparts back together” and the kid is going to run, but Zuo Ci stops him and is all “Chill, I’m doing you a favor, trust me”. So he brought the sheep back alive.

Cao Cao is furious at this point and has people searching everywhere for Zuo Ci. This is the part that is hilarious to me. So they look around and they found HUNDREDS of men who look exactly like Zuo Ci, tons of them arrested. They all look exactly the same, down to the details – “one drooping lid, one lame leg, white vine-stem cap, grey casual gown, wooden sandals”. So they execute them all simultaneously, but as they cut them down – the body parts start shooting out blue gas (or spiritual spirit looking stuff, but basically gas) and it floats up into the air and mixes together, turning into Zuo Ci who is now flying. He laughs a lot, hops on a bird, and then reanimates all the corpses which are hopping around scaring the fuck outa people too. Suddenly it all vanishes.

Timeline wise, this is right before Huang Zhong takes Tiandang, which is a famous moment you can remember from the games as well and all. But yeah. Zuo Ci was insanely awesome. My personal favorite otherwise, for weird coolness, is Mi Heng.

Zuo Ci’s poem:

He sprang to cloud and swept around our realm
Freely, harmless, avoiding days malign
Casually he worked his conjuries
But Cao Cao never understood his signs

But yeah. Zuo Ci is really weird and cool - but I don't like the direction they took with him in the newer games.
Subject Author Posted

Inspired by Isildur's post: CF Time capsule thread.

istirith February 05, 2013 05:10PM

My predictions

Baroness February 06, 2013 04:45AM

My prediction

RobDarken February 06, 2013 09:36AM

I predict CF will be dead and this forum with it.

Kez February 05, 2013 05:36PM

No way.

istirith February 05, 2013 05:44PM

Yeah, but AI will be better by then...

wrathpuppet February 05, 2013 05:47PM

That's not AI. That is cloning Artificial. (n/t)

Matrik February 05, 2013 05:48PM

Will Artifical's clones be atheists?

wrathpuppet February 05, 2013 05:50PM

Oh jeez, paradox. (n/t)

Matrik February 05, 2013 05:52PM

If there are five hundred Artificials, will they all dominate their social group collectively?

Johneveryman February 05, 2013 05:50PM

They will evolve different roles.

istirith February 05, 2013 05:56PM

Not a chance sir. QHCF is the last gate to hell stopping the apocalypse. I am its constant guardian. (n/t)

Matrik February 05, 2013 05:43PM

Yhorian's predictions:

istirith February 05, 2013 05:11PM

The US and China will never enter a war as long as both are economically dependent on each other. (n/t)

Baroness February 06, 2013 04:48AM

I'm with you on this

Lokain February 06, 2013 06:59PM

thats not true

Quas February 06, 2013 04:52AM

B-But what if Yellow Scarf Rebellion! China can easily conquer us and keep our economy by using -- oh no! It's it's it's -- LU BU!

Batman February 07, 2013 02:52AM

We can defeat him with (semi)brotherhood via an oath in the peach garden!

Baroness February 07, 2013 04:09AM

my fav was the guy with the deck of cards as a weapon (n/t)

Quas February 07, 2013 04:26AM

Zuo Ci!

Batman February 07, 2013 05:28AM

Not kidding, I once actually pulled off beating Lu Bu in a duel in ROTK10

Batman February 07, 2013 04:23AM

This post made me hard. NT

Sam February 07, 2013 12:04PM

LOL @ having hit points in a debate. (n/t)

DurNominator(VIP) February 07, 2013 11:39AM

Re: LOL @ having hit points in a debate.

Batman February 07, 2013 12:42PM

Lolz. My favorite part of ROTK games was making my own characters (n/t)

Baroness February 08, 2013 04:22AM

Heh, it's pretty funny to watch. I don't really like the games, but that debate sequence was fun/funny. (n/t)

Matrik February 07, 2013 11:47AM

Back when I played DW (3, maybe?)...

Baroness February 07, 2013 06:17AM

Bingo

chuntog February 07, 2013 02:34AM

Bingo

chuntog February 07, 2013 02:33AM

I remain unconvinced

Baroness February 06, 2013 06:00AM

well we can't preassure them on that point because it doesn't affect us

Quas February 06, 2013 06:02AM

You're right..

istirith February 06, 2013 08:10AM

but this assumes China doesn't totally implode

Quas February 06, 2013 04:53AM

I always wanted to make a CF movie (not sure what time period, any suggestions?) if I hit the Powerball when it was absurdly high. And buy into the Pirates and kill the other owners in a coup. (n/t)

leaf February 05, 2013 05:35PM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 57
Record Number of Users: 2 April 29, 2024
Record Number of Guests: 172 April 28, 2024