Thinking about it - it might be better if we could come up with better alternatives.

March 06, 2008 11:15PM
I know I feel somewhat stumped on paladin edges - but toning down the AP edge list (just plain removing some of the sicker ones, or at least nerfing) is something that no ones publically disagreed on so far.

So back to paladins:

How about something that allows them to rescue-all?
Like an angel does, where if it rescues you once it rescues you from everyone fighting you. Currently, rescuing is as good a way of getting someone killed as it is saving versus multiple opponents. Maybe make it hope/charity virtues only.

Give them a pure skin edge that counters aura of despair. You can currently layhands to remove it from others, but never yourself. (cheap cost, requires high skill in anoint weapon)

Vanguard of Light - ups defenses when fighting multiple opponents at once. Though this could be overpowered raiding empire (make it players only?) but will encourage paladins to take on multiple evil foes - which for me covers the most daunting fights - I rarely fear multiple neutral/good foes as much as an evil powerhouse with lackey. Paladins also classically get a higher gank-o-meter, making it hard for them to choose the Ehren soul and Ehren lord edges. Not because they love to gank (well, mostly :P) but because with someone else to lag a paladin can quickly seal a lot of kills. Anyone dying to paladins solo has made a huge mistake, or is fighting a two-hander with defiance and haste. Yeah, I got a glimpse of someones latest set. Sweetness :)

Bolt of Justice - Requires Bolt of Glory - Makes it so the weather doesn't have to be bad to 'call lightning', Costly edge, 90+ in the supp. Essentially making it a long-ranged pow for those foolish enough to run while outdoors. Yay paladin uberness! And this supp is way under used.

Bane of the Soul-Gorged - Being anathema to all AP's and making it their task to hunt even the strongest to extinction, some paladins have learned to better tear at the magic that imbues them with an ungodly resistance to pain via their soul consuming weapon. The more health that an anti-paladin has, the more damage their wrath will do. This allows them to dent at 2000+ hp AP's using wrath, but makes it difficult to simply keep spamming until they get a kill (consider ABS and the wrath-resistance edge that APs get here - both likely on an ap pushing +1000hp or more). The amount of damage would have to be fine tuned but I'm looking at knocking off 150-200 hp a wrath through abs, protection and wrath resistance while they remain above 1000 hp. This isn't insane damage, but it'll make paladins more than a speed bump when the next one goes steamrollering Ravon/Cabdru/Victoria style. It also means they'll do more like an Unspeaks if they catch them completely unprotected - ripping off 700-800 hp - but it would be followed by more normal damage wraths as the AP drops to 900 hp - giving them an entirely fair fight but more likely a good opportunity to grab their orb of travel.

Bane of the Damned - A retribution only - Gives the paladin better spell/song resistance versus those who have killed a lot more lightwalkers. Next time a certain bard-emperor with force of personality (dodge bonus with charisma) and imperial training permenantly set to 'defense' comes - the paladins will be the ones getting off their strikes. This also makes them the bane of long-lived liches and APs - both of which gain many advantages to fighting paladins over time. Such as uber evil EQ, wrath immunity/resistance, commune dispelling and fiercely loyal lackies.

The last two edges are just to help counter those who do amass ridiculous amounts of power. When these folks are around we so rarely see Divine Retribution at work. It's like the commune doesn't exist on anyone but the watcher :P The first edge takes into account AP's who will gain huge amounts of souls off of neutral and evil sources - bypassing the pains that come if they face divine retribution. The second one means even with exceedingly high damage/high malediction fights, the paladin will still be the bane of their existance - imho, how paladins should be. I'm not suggestion a well equipped paladin isn't already. But even a hummingbird pendant, thin silver bracelet, ST-equipped, Fortress backed, defiance wielding paladin - does not look good matched up to a well equipped Scion Lich, or Empire AP.

I think those edges alone might make me happier, but there must be more paladinly stuff that can be included to give them options. I'd like to see something cool with Aristaeia (currently, the drawbacks make it so that this skill is nearly NEVER a good idea. Even when ranking.). And edges that flesh out the duller virtues. Imho, the underpowered ones are currently Charity (turning a paladin into a tough healer is fine, but oh the pain caused by the mana burn!!) and fortitude. Which is just dull, even if very useful in pk (especially for two handed deds).

Yhorian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2008 11:42PM by Yhorian.
Subject Author Posted

Which edges would you like to see removed?

Yhorian(VIP) March 06, 2008 09:16PM

I personally think Telluric Surge should be removed. nt

BattleCharmed March 07, 2008 10:18PM

HAHAHAH How did I know you would say that? n/t

Guy March 07, 2008 10:32PM

Re: Which edges would you like to see removed?

Isildur(VIP) March 07, 2008 08:21PM

Don't have issues with sightstealer

daurwyn(VIP) March 07, 2008 01:09PM

All classes are equal, but some are more equal than others.

Quixotic March 07, 2008 11:39AM

I like edges that make less-used skills or builds more encouraged.

The Forsaken(VIP) March 07, 2008 12:17PM

Exactally

xenoroyal March 07, 2008 04:06PM

I agree completely on the Warrior edge list.

Yhorian(VIP) March 07, 2008 01:13PM

Wow. See, this is a damn good post. Of those, you know which one I hate the most.

Sam March 07, 2008 08:51AM

YHORIAN IS RIGHT

xenoroyal March 07, 2008 08:24AM

the shards are not plague but worse

pintose March 07, 2008 06:08AM

I don't believe you that they can't be healed at a healer...

laearrist March 07, 2008 09:34AM

You're half right.

Yhorian(VIP) March 07, 2008 01:22PM

hmm, most of those he listed can be cured by healers

daurwyn(VIP) March 07, 2008 11:36PM

Hot piss. I never noticed different healers heal different diseases.

Yhorian(VIP) March 08, 2008 02:35PM

I can agree with some of this

crafteddeception March 07, 2008 06:06AM

Who pissed in your cereal this morning? ~

_Magus_ March 07, 2008 02:23AM

It was me. nt

randomthinker March 07, 2008 07:33AM

Re: Which edges would you like to see removed?

subov March 06, 2008 10:21PM

Thinking about it - it might be better if we could come up with better alternatives.

Yhorian(VIP) March 06, 2008 11:15PM

I think I'm going crazy.

WarEagle March 06, 2008 11:18PM

Apples, oranges.

odrirg March 06, 2008 11:32PM

Reading this, I think it touches on a VERY good point.

Yhorian(VIP) March 09, 2008 03:31AM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 165
Record Number of Users: 2 April 29, 2024
Record Number of Guests: 178 May 01, 2024