Congratulations!!

September 25, 2014 04:55PM
Becoming a father was one of the most important transitions in my life. It will pummel you, stun you, crushing blo... shit, wait. It will also heal you in ways you never knew you needed.

It's not really a "time to grow up" sort of scenario... what it IS is a chance for you to prove that your wife did indeed marry a superhero. I know you know this at least partially from having been through the pregnancy, but when the little bugger actually pops out, the game does indeed change. Be proactive, help with any and every task you think she might bend her back to do. Be the rock she will need, especially in the case of post-partum depression.

I would say I don't like to intrude and instruct, but if you have any sense (speaking as a father of four), please encourage your wife to breast-feed (even if it is tough, sometimes)... the benefits are unthinkably powerful. My wife works in OB/GYN, and I've personally witnessed the difference in babies from newborn to 1 year of age- it's astounding. Motor function, learning capacity, overall cognitive function and adaptability. Breast-fed babies sleep better, have fewer medical problems, and if you ever change a formula diaper, you will know the final benefit.

That's ULTIMATELY, however, on your wife, so you can't be the total arbiter of her path there. It does also keep the breasts perky, though. The other critically important thing is to practice Kangaroo Care. This is becoming more widespread, but if I hadn't done it with my kids, I would feel horrible now. It's simple, you take off your shirt and lay the little feller (or lady) on your chest. When women do this, their breasts actually change temperature in order to suit the BABY's needs, which is just purely physiologically amazing to me. When men do it, it forms an amazingly strong bond. BONUS: Kangaroo sleepy-time for little tiny one means you can lay back, cradle 'em, and MUD on a laptop. My last Scion Shaman I owe directly to my 3rd kid.

If you're looking for more tips, shoot me a PM. I've had a bit of practice. *wry*
Subject Author Posted

Well.... My wife will be induced tomorrow if she hasn't gone onto labour

demos September 25, 2014 04:36PM

Don't grow up just yet but being a Dad is awesome! (n/t)

abernyte September 27, 2014 11:02AM

It's the benchmarks that keep you strong, brother.

Doof September 27, 2014 11:59PM

Being a father makes at least some things easier.

Death_Claw September 27, 2014 10:03AM

Well said. (n/t)

The Faithful of Nazmorghul(VIP) September 29, 2014 12:54AM

Congratulations!!

The Faithful of Nazmorghul(VIP) September 25, 2014 04:55PM

Thanks for raising my kid there, buddy. :) (n/t)

Doof September 27, 2014 09:56AM

I didn't realize one of the MILFs we grabbed was a castaway of yours, but yeah, we feed their kids for the duration of "Dungeon Play", so you're very welcome!

The Faithful of Nazmorghul(VIP) September 28, 2014 12:35PM

I'm a strong believer that you don't need to "grow up" in order to be a good father.

Frosty September 25, 2014 04:40PM

Dammit, Frosty, I love you.

The Faithful of Nazmorghul(VIP) September 25, 2014 07:05PM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 87
Record Number of Users: 2 April 29, 2024
Record Number of Guests: 258 May 03, 2024