It's the benchmarks that keep you strong, brother.

September 27, 2014 11:59PM
At times, you can count on feeling just beaten down and probably a little bit whiny. But then... they'll start kindergarten. They'll finish their first book report (and make an A). They'll graduate high school. They'll get their first job (I'm still waiting for this one, the lazy shits). They'll start college. They'll get dumped by their boyfriend (or girlfriend) for the first time and come through it just fine. They'll dump a boyfriend (or girlfriend) for the first time, for damned good reasons. Those are the moments that push you forward, that keep your morale up, that let you know you're doing an OK job. It's worth it.

Having said that, would I do it again? No. It's not that I don't love my kids, but I think I'd just be... going through the motions with another. Those experiences have been had, and we all had them together. I've been a great dad, and at times, I've been a shitty dad. I learned. They learned. And they're coming out just fine.

Also, you can expect (if they're around and they didn't beat the shit out of you) to gain a greater respect for your own parents. When I was younger, I hated mine. Both Pentecostal ministers, both borderline abusive with the forced Bible readings (tape recorder in your bedroom on a Friday night, anyone?), the "called to the altar for public prayer sessions because you said the word -shit-" moments... but when I look back, they did the best they could. They learned, too. They saw me become an Atheist. They watched me nearly drink myself to death, until my wife threw me a lifeline. They learned, and I learned too. Be a better parent than your own, but remember.... we learn as we go, and give them a break. I love my parents now, because I know they did what they thought was right. They were wrong... but they thought they were doing the right thing. And all in all, I have a strong moral perspective and I like to believe I'm a good man. They did all right.

Good luck, and don't ever hesitate to ask if you need advice or just need someone to vent to because your wife is being lazy.
Subject Author Posted

Well.... My wife will be induced tomorrow if she hasn't gone onto labour

demos September 25, 2014 04:36PM

Don't grow up just yet but being a Dad is awesome! (n/t)

abernyte September 27, 2014 11:02AM

It's the benchmarks that keep you strong, brother.

Doof September 27, 2014 11:59PM

Being a father makes at least some things easier.

Death_Claw September 27, 2014 10:03AM

Well said. (n/t)

The Faithful of Nazmorghul(VIP) September 29, 2014 12:54AM

Congratulations!!

The Faithful of Nazmorghul(VIP) September 25, 2014 04:55PM

Thanks for raising my kid there, buddy. :) (n/t)

Doof September 27, 2014 09:56AM

I didn't realize one of the MILFs we grabbed was a castaway of yours, but yeah, we feed their kids for the duration of "Dungeon Play", so you're very welcome!

The Faithful of Nazmorghul(VIP) September 28, 2014 12:35PM

I'm a strong believer that you don't need to "grow up" in order to be a good father.

Frosty September 25, 2014 04:40PM

Dammit, Frosty, I love you.

The Faithful of Nazmorghul(VIP) September 25, 2014 07:05PM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 104
Record Number of Users: 2 April 29, 2024
Record Number of Guests: 258 May 03, 2024