I've posted about this a number of times, so I'm reposting my own words and adding some extra.

March 29, 2015 04:39PM
Why you should listen to me: elf/dark-elf stsf is kind of my bread and butter. I play that shit like Torak plays APs.

The below is on warrior vs warrior engagements:

Igbah and Humbert were tough, but there's a serious difference in playstyles between STSF dexy sword spec and giant basher and how to fight STSF dexy sword spec and giant basher.

I seriously don't get it. Giant bash spec KILLS people, stsf dexy sword spec you have to kill yourself on them. They have NO lagging moves past trip. They cannot keep you in a fight.

Also, elf sword spec is the ULTIMATE anti-gank tool. A huge pet peeve of mine is watching people jump on Liantae/Altariel etc. When I was Artenel two or three of my groupmates tried to jump on a fight with Liantae. I was fleeing and yelling at them to flee not because I was super honorable or something but all you're doing is exponentially making everyone eat more ripostes and have trouble landing targeted damage skills on her. And you have to land targeted damage skills to beat elf sword spec. Two people fighting an dexy sword spec max, then if you have more people in the group, have someone wait a room away and be spamming to engage when they flee.

People seem to fall in this ritual of "I use these skills in this order when I'm in a PK and that's how I win." But you have GOT to be more fluid, you can't treat every character in CF the same way and people are fighting STSF dexy warriors like they'd fight other warriors.

The difference is, most warriors aren't relying on the passive melee. They're relying on a sequence of skills, or layering up maledictions etc. So the counter for that is to lag them so they can't use those skills that will turn the fight in their favor. But that DOES NOT WORK when fighting stsf dexy sword spec. STSF dexy sword spec has no burst damage, no big spec moves, nothing. They're relying completely on passive melee rounds and your dumb ass sticking around long enough until you essentially kill yourself on them.

Cranialing dexy elf sword spec isn't doing anything but giving elf sword spec an erection because he knows you're content to let him chew you up in melee for two more rounds.

For instance, as Gloiyme (a brief stint as a mino nexus mace spec I had recently) Liantae came at me. She was already nightreaver by this point with her buff suit. Screw boneshattering, screw cranialing, screw all of that. That's not going to win the fight against dexy elf sword spec. Drum. Drum wins that fight. She tripped me, ate me up in two melee rounds, and I dropped a 5 hitter on her. She was convulsing and if Zianne hadn't sent her home she would have, in all likelihood, been dead.

Stop trying to get cute with elf sword spec, you aren't going to out finesse them, they're built around finesse. Play to your strengths. See how much dam redux they have. If they have too much for you to kill them in 2-3 burst moves, pull back and re-engage in 5-10 ticks when they aren't as well protected. Don't just sit around letting them rip you apart until you can't flee.

Newer thoughts below,

Warrior builds that 'counter' elf stsf:

Polearm or staff spec warriors. Aoirse did okay from what I saw, but nothing overly buff. That said, he was also a rager which I think is weaker vs other warriors at hero. A well played Maran polespec can kill stsf delf. The issue is that maran polespec can't be a dumbass and think bashspam is going to beat stsf delf. Polearms + staff/spear specs are a bitch and a half to face as any sword spec, and that holds true for elf/delf. They're hard as hell to riposte, it just doesn't happen, and you have good hard targeted damage. Get a good polearm, enlarge for even better defense because bash isn't winning that fight, chop them until they die and rely on cutoff to make them die. If your chop isn't hitting for at least a mangles flee out and wait 4 ticks and re-engage when preps fall.

Dagger/maledict specs will eat them up IF they don't have the stat gear to cover it. With my elf/delf stsf warriors I have a very specific (attainable) set in mind when I hero. That set is +15/20 str/dex. If they have the gear, your maledictions are likely pointless. So mace spec? Don't boneshatter or cranial. Drum. Axe spec? Always pincer. Seriously, that shit is the answer. Once again, if you're not hitting hard enough to kill them in 3 pincers, back out and wait for some prots to drop before re-engaging.

It's really hard to keep aura/shield on tap as an elf stsf spec. Weapons eat inventory space and a good warrior has enough weapons to exploit every vuln. Even Xeneth who is h2h likely has a shit ton of daggers clogging up that inventory. Even stripping down and going lean I can usually only afford to keep 3/3 aura/shield potions on me at a time. And I'm VERY hesitant to use them in a simple 1v1.

I, for one, think you're vastly underestimating how tough shaman can be against dexy elf stsf, Torak, but we've already debated that so it is what it is. I didn't play Duvlek long enough to face off with hero elf stsfs so I don't have a frame of reference for facing the current stsfers but, unless the warrior has calming the tempest (and to me that only makes it an even playing field) a shaman is winning that fight 90% of the time.

Anything that can trap + direct damage. Invokers come to mind if they lay their trap out intelligently and execute well.

Dependent on the conjurer I've either steamrolled or been steamrolled.

Transmuters, again, it is dependent. They're either speedbumps or they're crazy buff. That said, I haven't been scared of a transmuter since Scion closed so YMMV.

Druids can be really tricky since I can't protect versus alignment, but again, I'm probably only concerned about druids if they're Amora-caliber or if I don't have easy access to non-metal weapons(one of the few vulns I'm not packing at hero usually). Xeneth is the ultimate anti-druid since h2h + sigil means that the druid is taking obscene damage from him.

Assassins with martial trance can actually hang reeediculously well. Seriously, martial trance is craaaazy strong. They're not unbeatable, but I do a gut check and evaluate a lot of things if I'm going up against a suitably tranced assassin.

I basically agree with the rest of your assessment. Orcs are tough, I agree, and a good shifter can do more than you think simply because the elf hp pool is low and rng is everything. If my parry shits the bed and I take two-three melee hits that I'm not expecting then as an elf I don't have the HP to just swallow that. That miscalculation can mean I'm dead.
Subject Author Posted

Theorycrafting time: what beats these STSF dex warriors

torak March 29, 2015 03:42PM

Some tips from my time playing Altariel

starbright March 30, 2015 10:52AM

very spot on

Quas March 30, 2015 11:30AM

Re: Some tips from my time playing Altariel

FrostyTheGiant March 30, 2015 11:20AM

Aoirse did pretty good against Marintok (with lots of kills)

loknim March 30, 2015 08:24AM

Think that Marintok didn't kick until later

torak March 30, 2015 10:08AM

It was two things

Quas March 30, 2015 10:12AM

Aoirse

loknim March 30, 2015 12:55PM

I could see weaponbreaker being a great skill against STSF sword with your build if timed right

TJHuron March 30, 2015 02:11PM

Simply put...

FrostyTheGiant March 30, 2015 02:17PM

Re: Simply put...

Quas March 30, 2015 02:26PM

Just about everything on your list

Quas March 30, 2015 03:37AM

I wouldn't say I beat them regularly

daurwyn(VIP) March 30, 2015 02:56AM

Two handed paladins rips them apart. Killing them on the other hand is harder. (n/t)

Cerunnir March 30, 2015 02:48AM

I would throw Monks in with this. I was never scared of Liantae. Avoid, Anticipate and Intensify. I would always land more hits than would get riposted. (n/t)

Spronti March 31, 2015 06:39PM

Re: Theorycrafting time: what beats these STSF dex warriors

stlucian2debone March 29, 2015 10:26PM

Mostly nothing KILLS them, but some can BEAT them

Tadam March 29, 2015 05:37PM

You're insane if you think a nightgaunt is ever going to get a hero warrior, let alone a sword spec. Even edged my gaunts could only occasionally get a hero svirf non sword. (n/t)

Artificial March 29, 2015 07:12PM

I played Quarissa

Tadam March 30, 2015 06:11AM

Sorry, this came out wrong. Details within

Tadam March 30, 2015 08:48AM

I just glanced through but I didn't notice any prominent dexy stsf elves. I don't count Rylium, he wasn't too pk savvy. (n/t)

FrostyTheGiant March 30, 2015 10:31AM

One thing to consider with this info is that some of those people could have used the succumb command

TJHuron March 30, 2015 08:54AM

I also did it plenty with a low chr/int neutral conjurer

Quas March 30, 2015 08:12AM

It's also incredibly fragile

torak March 30, 2015 09:19PM

Maybe, but that didn't stop it from getting me hundreds of kills over 3 non good conjies with them

Quas March 31, 2015 03:14AM

You are doing it wrong (n/t)

Quas March 30, 2015 05:54AM

Disagree Shifters.... you don't win in melee. I can't think of a form that'd do well here, even with a/b/s.

Zruulg March 29, 2015 05:09PM

I've posted about this a number of times, so I'm reposting my own words and adding some extra.

FrostyTheGiant March 29, 2015 04:39PM

Very good analysis, agreed. (n/t)

starbright March 30, 2015 04:22AM

Something that's unpredictable. (n/t)

Frosty March 29, 2015 04:14PM

Orc depending on gear, Rangers if they land the ambush, Ice Devil conjurer, bout it in times of straight brute force. NT

Sam March 29, 2015 03:59PM

Burst damage. Stack dam roll, cry of thunder, flurry/drum and hope for the best.

Rhyaldrin March 29, 2015 03:54PM

i tried that and typically died from 3 rounds of melee.

The Forsaken March 30, 2015 04:41AM

More preps. (n/t)

Rhyaldrin March 30, 2015 06:18AM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 95
Record Number of Users: 1 April 26, 2024
Record Number of Guests: 133 April 26, 2024