Re: Exploration char

February 12, 2010 01:08PM
To say shapeshifters are a crapshoot is an understatement in my opinion. But you may be pleasantly surprised, who knows.

I've had 2 transmuter explorers and they did alright, mostly at higher levels. It would probably be more survivable than a bard in 1-on-1 stationary fights, but worse in places where the creatures tend to wander or group together..

Other explore options you might consider...

Thieves, especially with gentle walk, can stroll unhindered through most aggressive areas. You need to be wary of the creatures that murder or otherwise outright attack when you walk in, but if you survive to flee you will probably be ok. Thieves have a harder time actually killing ultra-tough creatures without creatively using knife/flee spam with various maladictions when they rest, but can steal many handy items without having to kill at all. Scrolls are huge for getting more out of their travels here.

Paladins, have the tools, strength, and healing to explore pretty much anywhere and slowly whittle away creatures in areas much tougher than normally possible. If you have progged gears or virtues, even better. Many imms frown on paladins that vanish for long periods of time, selfishly exploring and looking for shinies rather than stamping out evil PCs, however. Request makes killing key mobs for nice paladin-friendly gear unnecessary as well.

Assassins, like paladins, have superior defenses versus mobs, good detections, vanish is great for eluding tracking mobs in many areas. The biggest problem with assassins is that you will either not be able to take advantage of most of the magical goodies you come across, or you will find a lot of gear you probably can't put to use anyway.

Druids are like paladins with their healing and defenses, but can also bring a pair of beefy pets to the table if they aren't locked into a civilized area. Their maledictions and treeform/forest haven are good for hit and run against creatures normally way too strong to be killed otherwise.

So, there's a lot of good combos useful for exploring. Goodie conjurer is the stereotypical one, but I found my elemental died way too often in the fights that mattered, and it takes forever to kill things with just an archon in your pocket.
Subject Author Posted

Exploration char

sleepy February 12, 2010 10:14AM

peek is nice sometimes. nt

Isildur(VIP) February 12, 2010 07:28PM

So is gentlewalk, pick lock, and steal. nt

Splntrd February 13, 2010 03:55AM

Yeah. And two attacks. And crappy defences. (n/t)

dervish February 13, 2010 07:13AM

Re: Yeah. And two attacks. And crappy defences.

Isildur(VIP) February 13, 2010 10:09AM

Thieves can get third attack and shield block nt (n/t)

Zheeser February 13, 2010 07:16AM

You speak as if that's even remotely a solution (n/t)

Scrimbul February 13, 2010 07:24AM

If going thief, Battle Defender has many advantages

wrathpuppet February 13, 2010 04:36AM

I've explored with every kind of character.

trewyn February 12, 2010 03:09PM

I thought the old muters got halt person if you went shift path instead of hold.

nodak February 13, 2010 08:14PM

If you went arcane path, you still got a minor form, but no major. Halt was easier to land than hold and stackable.

Zruulg April 15, 2010 11:25PM

Necro is actually not bad either

daurwyn(VIP) February 12, 2010 01:58PM

Re: Exploration char

bored February 12, 2010 01:08PM

Both have their own benefits. I'd not advice bard or healer.

dervish February 12, 2010 12:00PM

Healers and Bards are amazing solo explorers.

BattleCharmed February 12, 2010 03:07PM

Bards at those days were much better in melee. As a healer you can explore but you cant kill much. (n/t)

dervish February 12, 2010 03:17PM

This is also false. Healers have a rather large damage potential. (n/t)

BattleCharmed February 12, 2010 03:29PM

PROGGING GEAR FTW (n/t)

Scrimbul February 12, 2010 05:41PM

Not only that. As Khrathtyn I was putting out regular MANGLES for melee. (n/t)

BattleCharmed February 12, 2010 06:00PM

You never really specify this when you say it, dude... so I'll lay it out.

Scrimbul February 12, 2010 07:59PM

Yea. More false info. But there is some good mixed in.

BattleCharmed February 13, 2010 08:58AM

Claw of the Dracolich + Rip is pretty good, causes bleeding, ave 31 (n/t)

starbright February 13, 2010 12:26AM

No. For a Healer, you want something lighter that can Batter. nt (n/t)

BattleCharmed February 13, 2010 09:02AM

Disagree. Rip causes bleeding. Healer needs to whittle them down. Bleeding means regen is fucked. Lagging isn't so important. (n/t)

alansmithee February 13, 2010 06:18PM

Bard or healer

alex February 12, 2010 11:17AM

DEFINITELY this: "you learn way way way more traveling with others"~

Blackbird February 13, 2010 01:39AM

O/G conjie (n/t)

Artificial February 12, 2010 10:25AM Phorum database error

Phorum Database Error

Sorry, a Phorum database error occurred.
The error message has been written
to the phorum-sql-errors.log error log.
Please try again later!