Several factors come into play

January 04, 2013 10:19AM
1. How is your movement?
Nothing is more frustrating than realizing that you do not have enough movement to close the distance to your foe or to get out of town when things go bad. Rest up before you even check the area where you suspect they are in.

2. Did they see you peek in?
If you believe they saw you, leave them be. Come back ten-fifteen minutes later, after they've gotten into a rhythm that is more concerned with ranking than in looking for pkers. If not, proceed to step 3.

3. My character build
A high damage build is optimal in that you can kill and give the group minimal opportunity to react. If you are a lagging build, attack them when they are fighting, as the mob will interfere in the groupmates' opportunities to aid them. Ideally wait until they have been fighting some so the whole group is weakened in health and mana. If I can use stealth to get near them, I like to attack when they are resting, with one or more of them afk, or to time my attack when the tank engages the mob and group assist has not yet kicked in. If I'm trying to assassinate, then I'm going to weigh factors maximizing my chances of getting a kill against the odds of the character leaving the ranking area.

4. Target Group makeup
If the group is squishy, be aggressive. If the group is tanky and you can use stealth, then wait for when you perceive a weakness. If the group has a ranger or assassin, I definitely want to engage them as they fight.

5. Terrain & Mobs
Going back to movement-make sure you have enough for your goals.

Some areas are not easy to find people in, so charging in could simply give them time to get away. This is particularly true if you do not have pathfinding and they are in areas associated with high movement lag. If you have aggro mobs that will interfere on a charge, then I wouldn't go charging in either, as they will announce your presence.
Subject Author Posted

How to time your approach/strike

Rade January 04, 2013 09:07AM

For me it depends greatly on how well I know the area they are in.

ghuljun_thul January 04, 2013 10:46AM

prep before you start to hunt, not after you find prey

Quas January 04, 2013 10:22AM

Several factors come into play

Quixotic January 04, 2013 10:19AM

I just rush them. (n/t)

RobDarken January 04, 2013 10:12AM

I tended to...

Mek January 04, 2013 09:50AM

Depend on the enemy and my current character. If I have a fire giant sword or storm sword spec or a shaman or paladin. I'd prep up and rush in. Tranny/thief/assassin I'd watch a bit. (n/t)

tesline January 04, 2013 09:23AM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 82
Record Number of Users: 2 April 29, 2024
Record Number of Guests: 258 May 03, 2024